Chapter 24: The Scarlet Pursuit

Kaiya POV

"Hmm? Do I know a Kusuda Rikumichi?" Amuro asked me one day as I was walking Haro. "I don't think so... who is he?" I feigned surprise. "Should I know him?" I could feel Amuro observe my body language carefully.

"Don't worry about it... he's just a friend of mine who was at Haido Hospital when you and Conan-kun visited there." Amuro replied. "I asked Conan-kun about it when I bumped into him with Ran-san and Kogoro-san earlier, and he didn't know who Kusuda was either."

"Oh no! Is there a reason why Conan-kun and the others were at the hospital earlier?" I asked worriedly.

"Ran-san said her mother underwent surgery for appendicitis." Amuro answered.

"I should give her a get well soon present then." I replied as I pet Haro.

**********

Amuro POV

"Bourbon, are you sure you want to execute this plan?" Vermouth asked doubtfully. "Didn't I show you the video from Kir when she killed Akai? She was very thorough, and I'm certain he's dead."

"As far as I know... Shuichi Akai is dead, but a man of his caliber won't be defeated so easily. I still need one more piece of the puzzle... about what happened to Kusuda Rikumichi." I explained.

"What about Rikumichi?" she asked. "Reports say that Akai killed him."

"Don't you find his death strange?. Think about where his bullet wound is located." I reminded her. "If I were to commit suicide, I would shoot myself in the temple, just like Rikumichi did."

"Alright, but I need pictures of FBI agent Jodie if I am to disguise as her." Vermouth conceded.

"Don't worry. Her friend Natsuko Shibuya, an elementary school teacher, hired me as her bodyguard. I borrowed her phone last night and texted Jodie to meet up for a drink. That will get Jodie to come to the school that her friend works at." I told Vermouth.

**********

Kaiya POV

"Jodie-sensei's car is outside!" Ran noticed after school.

"Jodie-sensei! Long time no see!" Sonoko ran up to her car. "I thought you went back to America!"

'Ahh haha yeah." Jodie smiled sheepishly. "I'm staying in Japan for a little longer."

"Is it because... of the FBI?" Ran asked carefully. Sometimes Ran can be quite observant... probably since she always hangs around Shinichi/Conan hehe...

"Oh no no!" Jodie brushed it off. "I just enjoy this country a lot and asked for an extended vacation."

"I was just going out for coffee with Jodie-sensei today." I played along with Jodie as I got into the car.

"Is there a reason Cool Kid wants to meet up today?" Jodie asked me as we drove to Teitan Elementary school.

"Not sure either...I guess we'll find out soon." I replied when Conan entered the car.

**********

"Kusuda Rikumichi?" Jodie echoed what Conan asked her. "Wasn't he the organization spy who infiltrated the hospital?"

Conan nodded. "Tell the FBI to keep it a secret. Because I think Amuro-san is investigating..."

"I thought we were careful enough." I replied, my voice laced with concern.

Before anyone could reply, Jodie's phone rang. "Sorry, I'll have to pull over to take this." Jodie said.

"What?! Natsuko fell down the stairs? I'll be there right away." Jodie said on the phone. "My friend Natsuko Shibuya, an elementary school teacher, fell down the stairs at the school, and they want me to visit the crime scene." Jodie told us after she hung up. "But I'm still worried about Natsuko."