Chapter 12: The Padawan

NOW IT WAS JUST THE FOUR OF THEM, including the youngling now as it seems. Ahsoka has barely spoken at all since her arrival and Kora wondered why. She had so many questions and not enough time to answer them. 

Anakin and Kora shared a worried glance with each other. They both shared concerns about the child's safety in the middle of a war zone. After all, another attack could spring out of nowhere and they'd all have to act against it. 

"My apologies, young one," Obi-Wan began, taking a step closer to Ahsoka. "It's time for a proper introduction."

With a raised eyebrow, Anakin unfolded his arms. 

"I'm the new Padawan learner, Ahsoka Tano," the Togruta introduced herself once more, but this time in more detail.

Kora's jaw almost dropped from the surprise. How could anyone bring a youngling- er Padawan learner to the middle of a battle! The risks of Ahsoka getting hurt while chasing after her Master is exponentially high. Why did Master Yoda ever agree to this? 

It would have been fine if she was just a messenger, but a Padawan learner too? 

This has to break some sort of rule, right? 

Not seeming fazed at all, Obi-Wan continued to introduce himself, "I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi, your new master." He gracefully held his hands behind his back and spoke with great diligence. Kora is impressed with his ability to go from Padawan to Padawan as if it were nothing. The man doesn't even get a break after practically raising Anakin. 

Anakin sent Kora a smirk, knowing that Obi-Wan will never face a challenge like training Anakin ever again. He takes great pride in knowing he was the cause of Obi-Wan's few grey hairs. Anakin believes this new Padawan seems much less- what's the word- stressful. 

Kora gave him an eye roll. He just doesn't know what it's like to raise someone so obnoxious yet and hopefully, he will soon. 

Ahsoka's face contorted to show a bit of awkwardness. She hesitates a bit before saying, "I'm at your service Master Kenobi, but I'm afraid I've actually been assigned to Master Skywalker."

Kora's immediate reaction is to laugh. Her eyes widened ever so slightly and she had to resist making any noise. She knew how much Anakin did not want a Padawan, and yet here they were. It's karma for being such an ass maybe?

The three of them had all different reactions. Small noises come out of Kora as she struggled to maintain her laughter meanwhile Anakin stared at Ahsoka, mouth wide open. And the smirk on Obi-Wan's face is very evident, almost hinting that he had planned this all along. 

"What?!" Anakin begins to panic, "No, no, no. There must be some mistake!" He makes his way to Obi-Wan's side, hoping he'll get him out of the situation. When he sees that Obi-Wan does nothing, he panics even more. "But- he's the one who wanted a Padawan!" Anakin points directly at Obi-Wan, and then at Kora. "Hey, even Kora wanted one!"

Kora put her hands up, allowing a few chuckles to escape, "Do not bring me into this." 

Ahsoka clearly does not like being neglected. "No- Master Yoda was very specific. I'm assigned to Anakin Skywalker and he is to supervise my Jedi training."

Anakin looked at Kora, practically begging for her help. She kept shaking her head no, but the look on Anakin's face made her change her mind. Kora finally gave in and decided to ask, "Are you sure you understood him correctly? I mean, Master Yoda does speak in riddles."

"Yes. I'm sure."

Anakin looked like he was about to pass out. He never wanted this to happen. Why did it happen? "But that doesn't make any sense!"