The Emergency Room

Karan and Teju entered the emergency ward one after another and found it was really chaotic.

"Huh, Dr. Prince was right, I should get ready to see so much of blood." Teju mumbled to herself.

There was lots of blood everywhere in the emergency ward due to the accident cases from the construction site and all the doctors and nurses are busy.

A person whose blood shredded the most was just sent to a surgery. He had an abdominal penetrating injury. He was a middle-aged man had a rebar punctured through his abdomen with a block of concrete hanging on its other side.

This case made the entire ward extremely chaotic sometime ago. Now when he was sent to remove the rebar, it's quite calm and they could see so much blood on the floor.

"What?" Karan raised his eyebrows.

"Nothing, it was like......."

"We have an emergency patient....."

Teju's words left unspoken when paramedics pushed a stretcher of a patient. She was an extremely fat woman, having uneven breath and throwing up constantly.

Teju hurriedly followed them and took the details of the case.

Everbody assumed it, the case of food poisoning because patient threw up few more times, but Teju touched the neck of the patient under chin and mumbled aerodermectasia.

Everbody stopped there itself and looked at Teju with wide eyes.

"What, are you sure?" Karan immediately came forward and checked the patient. He pressed her neck under the chin and nodded his head and said, "Yes, it's aerodermectasia."

"What was that sir?" A second year intern asked out of curiosity, who came to greet Dr. KK, as he saw him in the emergency ward.

"Aerodermectasia means the presence of the air in the tissue just under the skin. It's a Boerhaave’s syndrome, spontaneous rupture of the esophagus that occurs during intense straining. It most typically occurs during an episode of forceful or repeated vomiting. When the esophagus tears, toxic contents can leak out and cause infection. This........"

Karan was explaining aerodermectasia, but interrupted by Teju.

"Excuse me sir, could you please take the class on the topic of aerodermectasia later, right now get me the intubation tube." Teju said bit sternly in irritation.

A patient with aerodermectasia is already a serious condition. She don't have time to waste on other interns who don't even know what is aerodermectasia, let alone it's basic knowledge or to diagnosed it.

"Sure......." Karan said politely realising the importance of the situation.

He immediately processed with endotracheal intubation, taking it as a order from the doctor of the patient and didn't let anybody know why is he doing this.

"It's no harm to explain about the illness to the juniors who had less knowledge." Karan said to Teju in polite tone while doing the procedure of endotracheal intubation.

"When interns in their second years don't even know about aerodermectasia then they should be out of the emergency room. There is always be a line between ER and GW." Teju answered bit annoyingly while listening to the patient's chest.

"The illness like aerodermectasia is not something everytime to be learnt in medical colleges. Many doctors learn about it in their intership. That's why doctors has internship programme. Every intern is not brilliant like you, so if they don't know they have all the rights to learn about it. Is that ok, Dr. Teju."