Flatline

Joel's POV

I'm freaking the fuck out. We're sitting in the hospital and waiting for Rose to get out of surgery. There was so much blood. What happened to her mark? Why isn't she healing like supposed to?

"She's out and recovering now." The doctor came out and told us.

"Thank god!" I huffed out.

I don't know what I would've done if she didn't make it.

"When can we see her?" Brent asked next.

"You can go see her now, she may still be out due to the anesthesia." The doctor replied.

All of us stood and went to find her room.

Upon entering, the first thing I noticed was the wrapping around her head. I approached her and started to gently stroke her hand. We all crowded the hospital bed and just stared down at her.

"So what do we do now?" Damien asked.

"We find out what happened to her mark and find out how she fell down the stairs. It's suspicious that she's not healing like normal right when she lost her mark. Oh shit. What about our marks? I hurriedly grabbed at the neck of my shirt and looked at my shoulder. It's gone. Was this the work of a witch or something else? I guess all we can do now is wait for her to wake up.

Rose's POV

I'm running through the woods. I don't remember what's chasing me but I know I can't let it catch me. I trip over a fallen branch and scratch up my hands and knees. Fuck. I pushed up and continued running. "Rose. You can't escape death forever." A voice said. I spin around trying to figure out what direction it's coming from. Next thing I know a hand grabs me by the neck from behind and squeezes until I fall back into the darkness.

Mason's POV

I'm standing outside the hospital trying to figure out whether I should go inside or not. I see Sophie and her boy toy in the waiting room and I assume the mates are in her room together. Fuck it, I need to see her. I blast past her friend and ask the front desk for her room number. I stroll through the halls with purpose. I gave her the gum to remove her mark, but how did she fall? And why is she in the hospital and not healing on her own? I finally reach her room. And bust through the wall of testosterone guarding her and grab onto her hand.

"You! Did you fucking do this?" Brent asked, grabbing the front of my shirt.

"Do you seriously think I'd be here if I did this? You must be an idiot." I told him, causing a growl to escape his throat. "I just need to know she'll be okay. I'm not here to steal her away at the moment."

"So you plan on doing it later? Maybe we should dispose of you now." Joel cracked his knuckles in warning.

*beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeep*

"She's flatlining! Call a nurse!" Colton yelled.

We all moved back to make room for the nurses. They immediately start trying to stimulate her heart but aren't producing any results. Fuck!

Time of death: 11:32 pm.

The doctors leave to give us a few minutes alone with her body. Every single one of us are crying, myself included. Sophie runs in the room with her guy trailing behind.

"So my work here is done." Paul said. What the fuck does that mean?

"What the fuck does that mean?" Damien demanded.

"I pushed her down the stairs. Luckily she had ingested a potion that weakened her body immensely so I didn't have to work hard at all. Don't worry you'll see her in the afterlife." He goes to walk away and I grab his arm.

"Fix this!" I demand.

"I can. But it'll cost you. What is she worth to you?"

"I'll pay anything." I tell him.

He tells me, " I want your black soul." My soul?

"It's yours!" I bellow out. Next thing I know my body collapses and everything goes black.

Rose's POV

I hear voices yelling. I struggle to open my eyes and move. My head is killing me and I can barely move.

"She's awake!" I hear Brent yell.

The sight before me throws my mind for a loop. Joel is beating the shit out of Paul, while Paul is grinning. Mason is passed out on the ground and Max is shouting at him to wake the hell up.

"Ahem." I say. Joel and Max pause what they're doing and run to my bedside.

"Baby don't ever scare me like that again!" Joel tells me while Max tells me, "I'm so glad you're ok."

"What happened?" I remember being pushed and being too weak to do anything but fall.

Damien grabs my hands, "baby you died. You're only here because Mason sacrificed his soul in exchange for your life." I'm stunned. Why would he do that for me?

Paul finally speaks up, "you can thank your friend Layla for your untimely death. Too bad my deal with her still stands. She sold me her soul in exchange for your death, and technically you did die. My work here is done, you won't see me again." He walked out the hospital door. We are all so shocked that by the time Max thinks to chase after him, he disappeared in thin air.

I look to the floor to see Mason passed out. What do we do with him now?

Mason's POV

I feel like I'm levitating. My whole core through every atom of my body is burning and the pain is unbearable. After what feels like years of pain, it finally stops and the world comes back in focus.

I sit up rapidly, causing my head to get dizzy. My stomach aches and I have to take a piss. Why does my body hurt so bad? I stand up from my bed and that's when I notice Rose sitting in a chair at the corner of the room. Why is she here?

"Oh god you're awake!" She leaps at my and wraps her arms around my torso. "Thank you, thank you! I owe you my life! The others told me not to come but I had to make sure you were ok. You sold your soul for me. Why would you do that?"

"It's a secret." I tell her. I don't want to admit to her that I'm in love with her, knowing that I can never have her. She cutely pouts and then pecks a kiss on the corner of my mouth. A sweet gesture, but one that makes my heart hurt. I feel really weird. I need to do something about that.

"Why are you so warm?" She asked me. Hmm why am I warm? I'm a full blooded vampire. We don't get warm easily. I go to the bathroom and do my business before heading back to the bedroom. I ruffle through one of my drawers until I produce a small knife. I decide to make a cut on my arm. Blood. It continues to drip but it's not closing up. I see Rose's pupils enlarge and then she overpowers me and licks up the blood. Shit she's so strong.

"You taste different," she tells me. Shit. I think I'm a human now.