XXXVI.

Jaime
"Zayne!"

"Yeah?"

"What are these shadows?"

"We have to protect the bodies."

The shadows peel from the wall and materialize into shadow beings.

"Our business is not with you." The shadow being in the front says.

"It is if it has to do with these bodies." Zayne says.

"Then so let it be."  They lunge forward and Zayne swings his fist and they go straight through it. They swing back and Zayne moves back slightly. It looks like his soul almost flew out of his body before regaining consciousness and entering back into his body. He shifts into his wolf form and snarls at them. They rush at him again and he manages to bite into one while scratching the other with his paw. They hiss from contact and I grab a bright light beaming it toward them it. One of them tries to disarm me and it looks almost as if the light boils it alive.

"Enough call on our brothers to aid us!"

Zayne doesn't back down neither do I. A shadowy swirl forms on the wall and more shadows enter.

'You know it would help if you had your witches here.'

'They should be here at any given moment. Until then we have to fend them off.'

'Tsk. We've found ourselves in more turbulent situations than this. Haven't we?'

'That we have.'

We fight back to back while giving clashing for clash. It feels as though we are fighting in an endless frenzy before the witches arrive. They manage to shut the portal and send the shadow beings back to where they came from. Zayne shifts from his wolf form and nods at his witches.

"Great work ladies." A few of them giggle from Zayne's praise while one side eyes me and I wink in response.

Zayne
I'm instantly bombarded with her scent and I look at Jaime to see if he can smell Jewel. He doesn't look affected and I clear my throat to get his attention.

'I smell her again.'

'I'll follow.'

The witches blink out and I'm left with a decision.

"You never know she very well might be there. If not then at least you're not wondering what if."

I nod and start following the smell into her old bedroom. Her window is open for some reason and it looks just as it had when she was alive. Her scent in her room isn't as strong as the one that filled my nostrils.

"Maybe your sniffer is broken."

"I know what I smelled and this isn't it."

"I'll leave you to it and I'll be guarding the bodies."

Jaime exits the room and I sit on the edge of her bed. If Blanche were here she'd probably kill me or turn me into a worm. She's kept Kiarah's room preserved just the way she left it. Which leads me to believe she's preserving the room in hopes of Kiarah coming back. I lean back with my eyes closed onto her bed and feel one of my locks being twirled. Next I feel a hand on my cheek.

"Zayne." I hear her voice plain as day and I open my lips to say something yet words fail me. I feel a finger hovering over my lips.

"Shhh. I don't know how long this will hold but protect our daughter by letting her fulfill the prophecy my love."

"Kiarah...."

"It's important and I need you to promise."

My hair stands up and I freeze instantly. She knows like I know I never break a promise.

"I promise." I say as I open my eyes to see an empty room. Damn I kept my eyes closed hoping to keep her here with me like a dream I would never wake up from. I sigh while rising up to smooth out the wrinkles I put on her bed.

I descend down the stairs with a stern expression and enter into the room Jaime is in. He looks up at me and I clear my throat.

"I heard her and felt her."

"Kiarah?"

"Yeah."

Silence passes through the room before either one of us speaks.

"What did she say?"

"Let Kiyah fulfill the prophecy. I've been hearing about it multiple times."

"They say when 2 or more say the same thing it has to hold some weight to it."

"Possibly."

"Answer this. If you'd know what Kiarah was going to do for your daughter would you have let her?"

"I would've protected both of them with every fiber of my being. Kiarah didn't give me that chance. She didn't have to suffer in the manner she did."

"Fate would have happened either way Zayne whether it was under your care or hers. Her mother is one of the most powerful witches in her coven, but she chose to protect her child alongside Jewel. She didn't want anyone else to suffer at the cost of them. What if your pack didn't survive an attack from the dark mistress?"

"I see what you mean."

"I know it hurts like hell believe me, but you hurt less this way versus what the alternative could have been."

"Point made."

"Are you feeling hungry?"

"I suppose."

"I'll fix us some of the food Blanche left on the stove if you'll take watch."

I look at the bodies and see slight movement with the occasional facial expression. Arnold's body looks as if his color is slightly draining. When Jaime reenters into the room he's holding two plates on one arm and beverages on his other arm.

"What's going on?"

"Do you think there is a way that we could possibly see what's going on with them in the spiritual realm?"

"I know someone that can make it happen."

Jaime sets the food and drinks down to make the call. Blanche's face slightly frowns before turning into a neutral expression.

"They should be here shortly."

We hear a big truck backing into the driveway and a light tap at the door.

"That was quick."