5 | The Pet

"Stay there, I don't mean to hurt you..." Alphard said, though he had no idea if the animal understood him.

He was about to get a shower when he heard a loud howl. It sounded so yearning. He couldn't help, but venture into the forest in search of the animal that had howled.

He knew Dorian would be mad when he finds out, as he'd told him not to venture into the forest, but he couldn't hold back.

When he got in, he found a massive white coated wolf with eyes the colour of the Swiss blue topaz. He was mesmerized, he hasn't seen a wolf before, let alone this majestic and stunning.

When he tried to get closer, it began retreating, so he stopped and tried talking to it, which was kinda weird, even to him. It was now behind the bushes. He took tentative steps so as to not scare the animal, that could either cause it to run away from him, or to attack him.

Little did he know it was his Cocoa. Luna on the other hand, knew what she was doing, this way, he wouldn't get away from her. She was taking retreating steps on purpose.

Contemplating as to why Alphard wanted to do what he was doing; even he wasn't sure. He just wanted to be on the animal's good side for some strange reason.

Just a few more steps and he'll get to it, but some people didn't want him to.

"We've our food figured out for dinner, Vincent and this young man will pay for us," Alphard turned around and found two burly men standing tall in front of him.

Thugs.

Their faces and hands had so many marks and for a surgeon like him, it's not a difficult job to identify a surgical suture when he sees one.

"You heard Collin, take out what you've got, or else we know how to help ourselves." The other thug said, pointing a dagger at Alphard.

"I'd if I had any, but unfortunately I don't." He answered.

"You want to do it the other way? Fine, you wished for it," The Vincent guy said and came for him with a dagger pointing straight at his abdomen.

He let out a breath and gathered up the strength he'd need to fight off these mountains. He wasn't training in vain for a week.

He jumped to the side and took the man by his right foot, Vincent fell to the ground and the dagger landed close to Alphard's feet. He made sure his ears were on guard too, like Luna had said. The other man was charging at him from his left.

He picked the dagger from the ground and threw it, aiming for Collin's right thigh, it struck exactly there and he fell on his knee.

Luna was proud that he was defending himself this well. She hadn't taught him those moves for nothing. But she also knew that he wasn't trained enough and these men can do great damage. So she made a run into the forest in search of some of her friends, the wolf friends. Not shifters, but actual animals.

Vincent got up, Alphard managed to dodge the punch he was about to throw on his face. Alphard then made a run towards his house, but suddenly changed his mind and ran further into the forest. There was no way he was going to lead them to his place.

They were running after him, these men probably knew the forest well enough than he did. He knew he wouldn't last long and had to think of something before he ran out of time.

But before he could, they caught up on him. He stepped backwards as they came towards him. More back, more back and back until he hit hard on a tree trunk.

Great, nowhere to go, ugh.

Both the men came close. Collin's hand was ready to stab Alphard right on his chest. He closed his eyes and waited for the dagger to penetrate his heart, but heard a painful grunt, causing him to open his eyes.