8 | The White Continent

"1 month..."

"What?"

"1 month in this cold, Luna. We've just stepped in and I already feel terrible," He whispered.

"Who said anything about staying here for a month?" She turned to him with a known smirk. He frowned before his eyes widened.

"Then?"

"How can you think that I'll drag you along to stay in a place we aren't used to for a month? Our work here is just for a day, or two, then we're off."

"A couple days? Why did you get a month's permi___"

"I said it's a day's work here, not that of the mission itself."

Alphard was so confused. She'd made everyone believe that they were going on a 1 month mission in the name of a vacation to the continent! Suddenly something clicked on him.

"Wait! That means you know the exact location to where the person we're looking for is?" Another smirk confirmed his assumption. "How?"

"We shouldn't be discussing this out in the open, let's set our cabin first." Alphard agreed.

They had brought folding container cabin to save time over building an igloo and help them keep warm. Once set, they were both a bit tired and sat down for a while.

"Now tell, how?" He asked again.

"Why're you so keen to know?" She raised an eyebrow, he rolled his eyes.

"Get over with all that 'a good agent suspects even his own self' thing. I'm keen is all, because I don't understand you,"

"Good that you don't," She murmured.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. 2 days before I started asking Greg to get the authority consent, I went to the the crime scene, there I found some weapons and that they were imported. Back then I thought that our criminal was hiding in some fancy town, you know among loads of people to make it difficult for us to get our hands on them. But the next day when I made a visit to the place again, I found this..." She pulled out a silver chain from her back pocket and gave it to him.

It had a locket, which he opened and saw a map instead of photos like people usually keep in lockets. He understood that one of the attackers must have dropped it at the scene.

"What if this was purposely dropped to distract us from the actual path?" He asked, Luna smiled. "What?"

"You're talking like an agent," He just realised he'd, that made him smile too. "It might be and that's why we aren't staying here for longer than a day, or two. We trace the path from that locket and if we don't find anything we're leaving."

"And if we do?"

"We leave in that case too. Remember we're on a vacation and so cannot make arrests, we make note of everything we find and report it to the agency and get back here officially. But yeah, we can sure hold someone captive to try and get more information on their plans and can also kill someone, but only in self defence."

"Makes sense." He shrugged. "When do we start?"

"We can now, the weather seems clear, no sign of snow storm, or something. What say?" She asked.

"All right," They got up.

The moment they stepped out, she sensed shifters. A keen look around and she found that they were in their wolf form.

D*mn it! She cursed. I can't even kill them in front of Alphard and risk him see their bodies taking back human forms!

"Alphard, get back in." She pushed him in and closed the door behind them.