31 | The Return

"Then?" He asked, a bit scared though.

"Don't you think it'd be the arrest warrant that I'd have produced to you instead of a resignation letter if she were to be a criminal?" Luna elegantly placed the glass back on the desk and put the lid back on.

The man gulped visibly at the thought that who he thought to be a criminal was in reality a secret agent and to think she was working here sent shivers down his spine.

Was she here to spy on us? I haven't treated her poorly, or something, have I? These thoughts clouded his mind, beads of sweat broke out on his forehead. Luna snapped her fingers in front of him to bring him back to earth and handed him a kerchief.

"Th..thank you." He wiped his forehead and let out a sigh.

"What's gotten you so worked up, mister?" Luna raised an eyebrow as if interrogating him.

He shuddered.

"No... No, it's nothing."

"So, is the letter being approved, or not?" She asked in a demanding tone.

"O...of course!" He immediately signed his consent and went himself to take a copy of it to file it.

After receiving her copy, Luna along with the man walked out of the cabin and went straight to the reception desk, the change in the air was so evident that every person forgot what they were doing and stole glances at their manager and the lady accompanying him.

The man never left his cabin without a reason and that usually involved stepping out of the old age home, thus seeing him heading towards the reception desk gave people the creeps.

"Sir, is there some___" He ignored the assistant who tried to approach him and went to stand in front of the girl in question.

"Miss, Sophia Hayes." He called, only then did the girl lift her head up.

Aunt Bella really thought about everything, who says she's not smart? Would she bother faking Sophia's last name if she weren't smart? Luna thought.

It was obvious from Sophia's reaction that she was oblivious to whatever was going on around her, that made Luna smile.

She's a treasure. Luna thought to herself.

"Yes, sir?" Sophia stood up from her seat in respect of a higher official.

"I'm here to let you know that your resignation has been approved and that you can leave as you please." Sophia frowned deeply.

"Resignation? But I didn't___" She was about to say that she hadn't requested one when her eyes spotted the lady behind her manager.

Luna was smiling widely, while Sophia didn't know how to react. It seemed like she might burst into tears of joy at any moment now.

"Sophia, I hope you remember me." Luna said.

"Ms. Luna! Of course, I do!" Sophia exclaimed in excitement and walked around the desk to where Luna was. They shared a tight hug.

"Just Luna, we're sisters after all, aren't we?" Luna whispered so that only Sophia heard her.

The latter pulled away from Luna in surprise, her eyes shining brightly at the thought that she had a family who loved her, unlike her own father, but little did she know that the man was a completely different person now.

"You know?" She mumbled.

"Of course I do, let's go now. We'll discuss everything later." Luna led her to the entrance.

Before stepping out she turned to glance at the manager and gave him a two finger wave. He simply nodded with a smile in response.

A little further away from the building they'd just stepped out from, Luna stopped Sophia from walking and turned the latter to face her.