16 | The Back Door

"Behind those bushes, quick!"

"It's a thorn bush, Luna!"

"That's exactly why we should hide there, quick!"

She didn't let Alphard think over it anymore and dragged him into the bush covering his mouth, in case he screamed, or something if the thorns pricked him.

"How the hell did these find us!?" Alphard whispered when she let go of him.

"These aren't from here. Someone's after us, that's the only explanation." She peeked from behind the bushes.

After some 15 minutes from when they left the cave, Alphard had heard low growls from behind him and Luna was walking a few feet ahead of him.

He immediately intimated Luna and it took less than a minute for her to spot the wild dogs and here they were, taking cover behind the thorn bushes.

Peeking out, Luna spotted a fire ant colony close to where the dogs were. She calculated the odds and concluded that they can scare the dogs away.

Yes, we can if we could somehow manage to bring down the anthill all at once! She thought.

"Good idea, we can bring it down by crashing something into it, why not maybe the dogs themselves?" Alphard suggested.

"Great." Luna agreed.

She took a pack of meat out of her bag and wrapped a juicy slice in a big leaf which Alphard managed to get his hands on from a nearby plant. Then Alphard threw it over and it landed perfectly below the anthill.

The smell of the meat hit their snouts really fast and within moments Alphard and Luna saw the dogs fighting each other to get the slice for themselves. Hell broke loose and so did the hill, soon the dogs were scratching themselves to get rid of the ants that were probably crawling over their bodies and into their snouts now.

Alphard and Luna shook hands at their success.

The two of them crawled out of the bushes carefully after the dogs had ran in the opposite direction to save themselves and began walking towards Alphard's place. They weren't far from it, the suburbs were now in sight.

"Be careful it's slippery here," Alphard cautioned.

It's been raining since that day Luna was attacked in the forest. She nodded in response and they made their way through the forest. Despite the warning Luna slipped and gasped in horror from the sudden loss of balance.

Alphard caught her before she hit the ground. His right arm on her back and the other holding her by her right arm, while both of hers were over his chest. Their eyes met and it felt like the world didn't exist anymore.

Alphard leaned a bit forward. She was ready to pull him down, but was suddenly reminded of the surroundings they were in.

"Stop," She whispered, bringing him back to earth.

"Sorry about that," He steadied both himself and her.

"It's no time to be distracted, we should focus. A little carelessness and we might lose the weapon." She breathed. Alphard agreed.

They walked past a few pine trees and coming to stop before a certain one, which was short with an unusually stout trunk, they knew they'd reached the place.

10 feet more and there came in view the back door that they had to unlock.

Alphard used his keys to open the door. The house was unusually silent, it was like it's been abandoned for days.

"What happened here?" Alphard mumbled as he walked in, Luna followed close.

"The store room, it's open." Luna whispered making Alphard notice it too.