Chap-5 The Grandeur

As the evening draped the royal palace of Hastinapura in a serene veil, Apsara, Maya, and Jiayi found themselves guided into a snug chamber nestled within the labyrinthine corridors of the palace. Despite its tiny dimensions, the room had an inviting ambiance, with soft candlelight flickering gently against the weathered walls.

"It's surreal, isn't it?" Apsara remarked, her eyes wide with wonder.
"To think that we've actually crossed into the realm of time itself."
Maya nodded agreement.
"And this secret mission for the sake of the future and all is just too unrealistic."
Jiayi, ever the pragmatist, leaned forward, her brow furrowed in contemplation.
"That's the million-rupees question, isn't it? What task could be so important that it requires us to journey through time itself?"
"But why us?" Maya mused, her voice tinged with curiosity.
Apsara shrugged, a thoughtful frown creasing her brow. "Maybe, it's cause Kali is the dark lord, and we are his only rebels."
Jiayi nodded, her gaze drifting to the flickering candlelight that illuminated their chamber. "Whatever the reason, one thing's for certain, we're in this together," she declared, her voice steady.
"This all might seem fantasy like, and cringe in some kind of way. But I am just happy that ya'll are here with me."
Apsara and Maya gave eachother a knowing glance as the smiled back at Jiayi.
"I hope, Vasuda is fine at the males workers dorm. I never knew that there are different wings for male and female workers in ancient palaces. I mean back in Amaravati, even before two thousand years we all have been living together."
Apsara said stretching her arms.
"These guys are Aryans,we are Dravidians. Believe it or not, ancient Dravidian women had equal importance to men in Dwapar Yuga. It's always been that way for us.
Here in north, they have zero respect for us, remember what happened to Draupadi?"
Jiayi nodded and hummed in response.

Their conversation was momentarily halted by a discreet rap upon the door, which swung open to reveal a figure of ethereal beauty.
Clad in attire that spoke of understated elegance, she greeted them with a serene smile, her eyes alight with genuine warmth and hospitality.
"Greetings."
she said, her voice a soothing melody in the tranquil chamber.
"I am Dushala, daughter of King Dhritarashtra and Queen Gandhari. It is at the behest of Lord Govind, that I come to extend my humble assistance and ensure your comfort during your sojourn in Hastinapura."
With a graceful sweep of her hand, Dushala unveiled a modest assortment of garments, each imbued with a quiet elegance and adorned with subtle embellishments.
"Please, accept these tokens of camaraderie and goodwill from the people of Hastinapura."
she offered, her words laced with genuine sincerity.

"That's a lot of gold, you know you could have given us a better room to stay. The walls look like its gonna crumble anytime soon."
Maya said abruptly and immaturely.
"Uh, I am so sorry princess, for my little sister's bad behaviour. I sincerely apologise."
Maya with widened eyes looked at Apsara and mouthed - What?
Apsara and Jiayi death glared at Maya in response.
"Maya, she is a royal. Have some respect."
Jiayi scolded. Maya with a cold tone replied in English to hide the words from the ancient people.
"I am the daughter of Mayaasura, I have ten times the nobility of her!"
"Yeah, but nobody in this time cares. Here, you are our little sister. You understand that, now apologise and make it sound like you're sorry!"
Maya with unsteady rage, made a fake smile on her face and said.
"Your highness, I hope you have not been offended, I blame my elder sisters for raising me the wrong way. Please forgive me!"
Dushalla was a bit freaked by the unfamiliar language that they spoken in, meanwhile Apsara and Jiayi was filled with ire, because of Maya's indirect insult.

"Anyways, I want to invite Devi Apsara and her sisters to the grand soiree, conducted by my mother, tonight. Please, were these beautiful clothes, I have picked them myself."
The three friends glanced at each other in surprise.
"Uhm, I am sorry. But we won't be able to attend it. We are very tired and we need sleep."
Apsara said refusing in the nicest way possible.
"Oh, this is exactly what Lord Govind mentioned you would say, he said that-"
Dushalla suddenly adjested her throat and continued.
"Get your lazy asses in that soiree, for you own sake. Or you'll face the consequences."
She said with an angry face and suddenly changed it back to her warm smile. She was probably trying to act like Krishna.
"Uh-huh, right! We'll be there, at what time is it?
"Night seven o'clock to eleven."
"Great, our sleep is gone. We'll come, you can rest assured."
Apsara said, bowing her head in respect.
"Thank you. I hope we'll be great friends."
"Thank you, your highness."

To be continued