Chap - 9 Love at first sight

The halo of the horizon arrives with golden grace. The streets were a marriage of sounds, from carriage wheels to chattering and bargaining. The city of Hastinapur looked breathtaking in the spring morning sunshine. These streets grow skyward as if each home were an oak of ancient times. Chang Jiayi stood amidst the bulky men around her. She was waiting for Bhisma to finish the meeting with some Kings of many states and some small kingdoms. She wore black heavy robes with small purple designs. She looked around her to see strong and tall men who were the bodyguards of the many Kings and officials. She felt an odd one out as she was the only lady there. The meeting venue was a cottage in the streets. It was a usual place for royal conferences. The cottage wooden door opened as mumbling sounds were audible. All the bulky guards ran towards their masters like dogs. Their masters started to take out their anger on them as a regular habit. Jiayi looked confused, she looked around to find Bhisma. She went inside the cottage to see Bhisma sitting in the large throne as if he was the sarpanch of the village house.

"Jiayi, have a seat." Bhisma said, smiling. Jiayi was confused why he was acting kindly towards an inferior. There was another man with a golden crown. He looked very handsome, surprisingly even more than Nakul or Yohan. He had black raven locks and sharp jawline and a pair of magnificent dark hazel eyes. She looked down and bowed to Bhisma as she took a seat beside him.

"Angaraj, she is Chang Jiayi, she is from the cheen Naga region. She is a great warrior, Lord Govind introduced her to me and now she is my escort."
Jiayi fakes a smile at the Handsome hunk. He reciprocates her with his charming grin.
"Jiayi please serve us some madera, there is a glazed jar in the bamboo cupboard." Jiayi bowed her head and stood up walking towards the Bamboo cupboard. She suspiciously looked back at the men.
"Angaraja Karna, please tell me your ideas."
Karna? Jiayi was shocked, he is the King of Anga. The first born of Queen mother Kunti. That is why he looks very appealing and alluring. She opened the first drawer to find many files.
"The third Drawer, dear."
Bhisma said. Jiayi looked back again, faking a smile. She hastily pulled the third drawer and carefully picked up the glazed Jar of alcohol. She easily brings the large jar with her one hand by holding the bottom. Karna was astounded, Bhisma smirked seeing his reaction. She carefully placed the Jar at the Mahogany table and sat down. She poured the Madera on to the wine cups arranged at the middle of the table.

"Thank you, dear. Have one for yourself."

"Thank you, sire. But I don't drink Alcohol."

Bhisma nodded and took his cup. Karna was busy eyeing the gorgeous lass's looks. Jiayi glared at Karna, he just chuckled.

"Generally, I think a bridge dam would be a great idea to stop the flooding at Anga." Karna said, looking at Bhisma. Anga is situated at the north-east of Bharathvarsh. The region is wet mostly all time around the year. Flooding of plains is habitual.

"Hmm, that is a good idea. If you make a decree, I'll send troops to Anga immediately for the supply of required timber."

Bhisma said and emptied his cup in one go. Karna smiled and bowed to Bhisma. Karna is a King and Bhisma is just a General, but he is the superior in all ways. He moved his head towards the Chinese girl, and asked.

"So you are a mleccha."

"Mleccha? That is an inappropriate word."

Jiayi scowled looking down.

"How? Mleccha means someone who is not from Bharatvarsh. How come it is a bad word?"

"Mleccha is also a word for dirty foreign tribals?"

Jiayi looked at Karna in ire, as if he humiliated her very crucially. He was speechless, it was not his problem that the uneducated villagers think of all people who do not follow the Dharma Culture as boorish.