Chap - 10 The gentle touch

In the heart of Hastinapur's bustling marketplace, Ashwathama found himself enveloped in a whirlwind of sights and sounds. The air buzzed with the hum of conversation, punctuated by the rhythmic calls of vendors hawking their wares. Amidst the vibrant chaos, he meandered through the labyrinthine alleys, each twist and turn revealing a new tableau of color and texture.
His attention was drawn to a stall adorned with a sumptuous array of fabrics, their intricate weaves and vibrant hues catching his eye. Approaching with measured steps, he ran his fingers over the luxurious materials, each touch eliciting a soft rustle like the whisper of silk.
The shopkeeper, ever observant, noted Ashwathama's discerning gaze and offered a respectful acknowledgment.
"You have the eye of one who appreciates quality," he remarked, his tone tinged with admiration.
With a nod of gratitude, Ashwathama accepted the compliment.
"I am but a humble fan of fine craftsmanship," he replied, his words carrying a quiet humility.
"You seem to be coming from a noble family."
The shopkeeper remarked, making Ashwathama chuckled and reply.
"I an the Emperor of Panchala."
The shopkeeper just laughed in disbelief. His eyes carrying a hint of mockery.
"The Emperor of the second most powerful empire of Bharathvarsh, here in my small store."
He said laughing uncontrollably, mocking the words of his customer. Ashwathama smirked and picked out an emblem coin from the pouch attached to his belt and thrown it at the stall desk. The shopkeeper hesitantly observed the large coin, the intricate carving of the emblem of Panchala visible perfectly.
The shopkeeper, suddenly realizing the stature of his unwitting guest, felt a pang of regret for his casual demeanor. Had he known he was in the presence of royalty, he would have approached with greater deference or maybe have not even dared to open his mouth.
"This one is quiet a beauty, please pack me them, they are a perfect gift for my mother."
"They cost three hundred, sire."
Ashwathama, took out a pouch full of coins and placed it on the stall desk. The shop keeper greedily took the money and bowed in gratitude, his eyes glowed with happy greed.
"Thank you sire, may god always be on your side."
Ashwathama smirked, admiring the respect given to him.
"Varuna, the fabric you've given me yesterday has spoiled today itself, You better Explain yourself!!!"
Shouted a lady wearing bright yellow robes that screamed royalty. Her hair was tied up in a bun, adorned with roses and Jasmine, which's smell radiated from her. Her loud voice startled Ashwathama, completely taking his attention.
"But lady Apsara! They're of high quality."
The shop keeper apparently named Varuna bargained.
"And who is this fair maiden, Varuna ji?"
Ashwathama asked with curiosity gleaming in his eyes as he scrutinised Apsara. She looked at him with a faint frown.
"This is lady Apsara, she is a friend of Yadava Shresht Vasudeva Krishna."
Ashwathama's gaze lingered on Apsara, his eyes alight with a subtle hint of flirtation. However, as Apsara caught his gaze, she couldn't help but feel a twinge of discomfort, her brow furrowing in mild confusion at the intensity of his stare. Sensing her unease, Ashwathama quickly averted his eyes, a faint blush coloring his cheeks as he sought to regain his composure.
"Give me the best quality fabric you own."
She demanded, her eyes avoiding the handsome man beside her.
"You can have this one, lady Apsara. I asure you, they'll suit you best."
Ashwathama said with a sly grin on his face, which Apsara didn't like much.
"No, you chose that for yourself. I can't have it,"
She replied with a soft grin, declining his offer politely but firmly. Though Ashwathama's gesture was kind, Apsara preferred to find her own selection, unwilling to accept such an intimate gift from someone she had just met.
"I am Ashwathama, Emperor of Panchala," he said, introducing himself with a hint of pride in his voice.
Apsara's reaction was one of stunned disbelief. Her mouth fell agape, rendered speechless by the revelation. Memories of their encounter during Kali Yuga flooded her mind, stirring a mixture of emotions within her. She vividly recalled their fierce battle, where Ashwathama's face had been concealed behind a cloth, leaving only his eyes visible to her. Now, faced with the realization that this was the same individual, albeit thousands of years younger, Apsara struggled to reconcile the past with the present.
Her mind grappling with the stark contrast between the Ashwathama she had known and the one standing before her now. "Why do you seem so surprised?" he inquired, noticing her gaping mouth.
"Uh- nothing," Apsara stammered, hastily composing herself.
"I was wondering why an emperor of such a powerful kingdom would be purchasing fabrics at a market stall."
Ashwathama chuckled softly at her response.
"I am a friend of Prince Duryodhana. I came for a function at the palace," he explained casually, offering a simple explanation for his presence in the marketplace.
"Oh the soiree, that happened a few days ago."
"Yes, precisely," Ashwathama affirmed, nodding in agreement.
"The festivities were quite remarkable, weren't they?" Apsara ventured, attempting to maintain a semblance of casual conversation despite the lingering disquiet in her mind. She cast a fleeting glance at Ashwathama, her eyes betraying a hint of curiosity mixed with apprehension.
"You were there as well?" Ashwathama inquired, his tone casual yet probing. He observed Apsara intently, as if searching for something beyond her mere words.
"I was invited as well!"
Apsara responded, her tone brightening slightly as she shifted the conversation away from her own unease. "Uh, could you explain to me how you are noble?" he countered, a flicker of curiosity glinting in his eyes."I am the princess of Amaravati," she revealed, her voice carrying a hint of pride despite her attempt to maintain composure.
"Which Kingdom is that?" Ashwathama inquired, his interest piqued by her revelation."You wouldn't know, it's far away," Apsara responded with a hint of mystery, deflecting the conversation away from further inquiries about her origins.
"You were a princess?"
Varuna asked in surprise.
"What? I don't look like one to you!"
She said in a very angry tone, scaring the poor shop keeper.
Ashwathama too was startled by her sudden mood swing.
Apsara frowned as she examined the fabrics, her brows furrowing in concentration. Meanwhile, Ashwathama found himself momentarily enchanted by her adorable expression and undeniable beauty, his gaze lingering on her with a mix of fascination and admiration.
"Well, then, princess," Ashwathama said, his voice soft and sincere. "I would wish to see you again, if fate brings us together once more. I would thank it a million times." With a gentle touch, he took her right hand and placed a soft peck on it. Apsara's cheeks flushed a deep shade of red, feeling a rush of warmth at the unexpected gesture. It was a moment of genuine charm that captivated her, leaving her momentarily breathless.

To be continued