Chapter 37

We cannot see our future, so we don't know what's going to happen next within few minutes of our life

We cannot see our future, so we don't know what's going to happen next within few minutes of our life. We don't know whether the next few minutes will be good or it will become nightmare.

When I walked out of the room I heard some distant yelling coming from a room. So, given a natural reaction to it like other human beings, I headed towards that side.
As I got closer I could hear the voices more clearly and realised it was Santino who was yelling. I thought may be someone have pissed him off so he's taking it out but turn out I was wrong.

I was about to go back to kitchen when I heard it,
"At least you could show some fake interest there. She was looking at you the whole time." I guess that was Santino but who's she? Is he talking about me?
"What the fuck do you want me to do then? React like everything is normal? Like treat her as a guest when she's actually my own daughter." That was father's voice.
"Dad, we all know this is difficult for all of us but we all are trying." Says Achille
"He's right son. We all need time and so does Hazel." Says nonno
"I can't do it anymore. Either you tell her or I will because this is torture for all of us." Father replied.

They know, they know the truth but how? And then I remember that night when at dinner nonno said call Lorenzo that is him. So, they know it but why are they yelling like that?

"Do you think it is right to keep her here like this? We are the leader of goddamn mafia her life will be in danger all the time." Says father. His words pinned me in the heart.
"Don't you think we don't know that? We all are here to protect her. It's better to keep her safe while keeping her in front of our eyes than protecting her from afar." Santino spoke.
"Dad, please calm down and don't do anything that you might regret later. You already regretting a lot of things right now." Edwaldo spoke.

I couldn't listen anymore of this conversation so I went back to my room. They know, earlier my plan was simple, I live here for some days, spend as much time I can with my family and leave the place with memories that I can remember and cherish. But now, what should I do? Should I just tell them whole truth that I know.

Why can't I have a simple life? Why everything has to be so complicated? I know that with all these thoughts going on in my head, I can't rest. So, I decided to go for a walk to the same place I went yesterday. This time I texted Santino that I'm going for a walk near lake and will be back soon. I didn't wait for his reply because I just wanted to get out of this place for a while. As I went out, I saw Mr. Fedrick at the back of the house. He saw me and smiled, I didn't wanted to be rude so I smiled as well. He approached me with a bucket in his hand that had some brushes in it.
"How are you dear? I'm happy to see you here."
"Thank you." I just replied.
"Are you going somewhere?"
"Yeah for walk."
"Hmm.... how about today I take you to a place?"
"Where?"
"What are your thoughts about horses?"
"I have seen them but just in books or pictures. Why are you asking me that?"
"You'll see. Follow me dear."

I followed him for 3-4 minutes and we had a little chat on the way. Well, it was mostly him talking and I was listening. Then we reached to the place he wanted me to see. We went in and then all I could see was horses.
"Wow!!!! They are..... big??" The ending came as in question. I followed him to a room and he asked me to wear those long boots so I don't make my shoes dirty. After that he took the bucket and filled it with water and went toward a stable that had a black horse in it.
"This is Buck. He is the oldest horse here and one of the sweetest one."
"Hi Buck." I waved my hand and the horse neighed in response.
"He's saying hello too."
"How do you know that?"
He just smiled and patted the neck of the horse and then started brushing him. After ten minutes we moved to another one which was total brown. And this one was little bigger than the last one.
"Hazel, meet Phoenix our fastest horse in the family. This one is very naughty and loves to tease Gabrielle."
"Gabrielle knows how to ride it?"
"Yes, all of them do. Whenever the boys have time they go for ride in the forest sometimes."
I smiled and again watch him do same job that he did on buck.
Then we moved onto next which was female named misty, then coco was next and then belle. He did the same job on all of them.
"Hazel, be careful with next one. He tends to get upset when he sees someone unknown. Make sure you maintain your distance with him, okay?"
"Sì, captain."

We went towards the last house who very beautiful. This one was whole brown with white hair on the bridge on his nose and white hair from his knee to pastern. His hair was so shiny and smooth that I was tempted to touch it but maintained my distance. I looked into his eyes and they were as if he was sad, as if he was upset with something.
"This Arion, he was bought here when he was just two. I lost his mother to some accident and since then he's with us. Mr. Alford is the only one who have got ride on him till now. He doesn't like anyone except him."

As be was explaining me I felt something for him. He lost his mother too. Did he also feel alone in this world like me.
"Hazel, I'm going to bring water make sure you stay where you are. Okay? We don't want more accidents happening with you."
He joked and I nodded in response and he left then. Now it was just Arion and I in the stable.
"Do you still miss her? I know that this loss is never completely filled in our life but all we can do is live without her. I'm proud that you have come this far Arion."
I don't know why I was saying all this but I had a feeling that he needed to hear that. We both were looking at each other but then he walked towards me. This made me scared that may be he's going to attack me so naturally I closed my eyes and waited for it. But instead of pain I felt a soft hairy touch on my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw Arion rubbing his muzzle against my face. It was as if he was trying to tell me that I will be okay too, that he's trying to thank me. I rubbed his forehead and muzzle with my hand. This brought tears in my eyes and I started crying. I couldn't contain it within me anymore. I couldn't lie to myself anymore that I will be okay with all the things that have happened with me in the past or is happening right now.
"I can't do it anymore Arion, I can't. It hurts so much now."