Chapter 69

The time was moving fast

The time was moving fast. This calmness that I was feeling in the car is slowly turning into nervousness as we are moving closer to the destination. I still don't know where we going. All I know from dad's and Antonio's conversation is that we are heading to nona pia's. I have many questions that I want to ask but I can't voice it. Soon we are in front of a house surrounded by green lush of trees. This place have such a calmness to it. I took a deep breath of the fresh air. This bought a small smile on my lips.
"This way cara.."
I followed behind him on a well travelled path that leads to the main door of the house. It is a small but a very cozy home and whoever lives in here must be in a big nature lover. Within few seconds we both were in front of the main door. Antonio took a deep breather which got my attention.

"Okay cara, now listen carefully, whatever you see don't say a word to anyone

"Okay cara, now listen carefully, whatever you see don't say a word to anyone....." I was confused at that. Why is he asking me that. He knocked on the door in a format. One knock, then three and then one more. After few seconds the door opened revealing the other person. An old lady comes out with a ROLLING PIN. The next thing that happened in front of me, to say, I was shocked was an understatement. She launched towards Antonio with her rolling pin and started beating him with it and cussed furiously at him.
I was looking at the scene in front of me as if a movie was playing in front of my eyes.
"How dare you didn't answer my phone last week. Huh... tell me? Were your fingers broken that you couldn't answer your phone."
"I was in a meeting nonna pia. I'm so sorry, I promise it won't happen again. Ouchhhh..... it hurts nonna."
" Good..... and you better do that next time otherwise you are dead boy."
"Si nonna pia... si"
She turned around and looked at me and within few seconds her rolling pin was on the ground and I was in her arms. WTF, is she hugging me? Why? I looked at Antonio and he was smiling like an idiot. What the hell is going on here?
"Oh my baby, oh I missed you so much....." she was now crying. What am I supposed to do?
"Nona let our bambina breath."
"Oh... si si... I'm sorry cara. Let me look at this pretty face." She held my face in her farm soft hands and kept looking at me with a look of longing in her eyes and then she kissed my head.
"Let's go inside bambina." She held my arm and dragged me inside which even more coziest.
"Are you hungry cara? I just made some fresh bread." The minute she said that my stomach growled and they both laughed and now I was so embarrassed. She then looked at Antonio with annoyance and ordered him to follow her in the kitchen.
"You rest here cara. We will be back in few minutes." I nodded and looked at their retreating fingers.

I shifted my gaze around the living room. It was minimal but beautiful and mostly peaceful here. I walked to the small window in the living area and looked outside. It was beautiful too. But why am I here. Does Nona pia know me? How? It was clear from her reaction when she saw me. Lost in my thoughts I didn't even realise that they both have set the table behind me. Someone held my shoulder and that got my attention back.
"Are you alright cara?" Nona pia asked.
I opened my mouth to say something but as if my voice was just lost so, I nodded. She gave me a sad smile and said
"Come on let's eat something." I smiled a little and followed her to the table where Antonio was putting a tray of coffee on the table.

After breakfast we all sat outside in her lawn which was filled with flowers and vegetables that she must have grown. I was so mesmerized with my surroundings that I forgot all my worries for few minutes.
"I know you have a lot of questions." Antonio said after clearing his throat. I looked into his eyes which showed that he is determined to talk about the issue from which I want to walk miles away right now. Nona pia held my hand in hers which shifted my focus on her.
"You know I knew your mother, she was a darling soul. I still remember the day when I first met her. She was pregnant with Santino at that time. I was angry at your father for some reason so I beat him the same way like I did this idiot today." She said with a huge smile on her face.
"She got so scared after that, that she didn't spoke a single word for first three hours. But then she opened up and after that she became like my own daughter. But my daughter was very good at hiding things. She never showed me that her life was full of troubles and by the time I got to know it was very late. The day she left her children she came here. She was broken that day. She was not the same Eleanora that I knew. I told her to stay with me but I think she had something else on her mind. After a week, she left from here leaving a single letter saying she needs to find her own way herself." Nona's voice choked at this so Antonio continued after.

"It took us two months to find her. She was carrying you that time but was not looking healthy. I pleaded her to come with me but she refused. I had my doubts from then on that something was not right because she kept refusing any help and didn't explained anything about the situation to anyone. Then, I decided to find out the whole truth my way." I was confused at this. He must have studied my reaction because he then answered my unasked question himself.
"As you know cara that I handle all the security of your family but only few knows me by my second name 'Dragon'." He said with a smirk. I was shocked to hear that. I know it because Dragon was a legend of hacking in underworld but mouth of word travelled that he was disappeared now. I was completely mute now even my thoughts too but he continued.
"I found out after some digging that it was her own sister Carmella, your aunt, that framed her which lead that whole situation that point. When I found that I immediately told your mother and to my surprise she knew it and told me to keep to myself only. I was so livid hearing that. Eleanora was like my sister and I wanted to get a revenge because I was so mad. So, I killed her. No one knows about it till now, they all thought it was an accident but it took me very long time to kill her because at that time their was war going on between our mafia and Mexican mafia. By the time I was done with both the situations; your mother was taking her last breath. I had one of my best man following her for her safety. When he told me the new I was broken." He had tears in his eyes. All I was hearing was bird chirping around us because we fell into silence.

"I'm so sorry that I couldn't save your mother. I knew that I had already made a mistake about her but I couldn't make the same about you. I decided to go their myself and bring you here with me but you just vanished into thin air by the time I got there. Till this day, I couldn't find the explanation about your whereabouts until you were 5 or 6." Hearing all this, I don't know why, I keep getting this strange feeling that something is missing in this last part.

"I know what you are things, something is left out, right?" My eyes widened at it.
"I think you might remember a strange email with no trace and unknown name few months ago with some videos and pictures......"
"You......." I said in such a light whisper that I doubt he heard it but he did.