Chapter 14

Josh's POV:

I knocked on the door, to which a lady I didn't recognise answered. She must've been his mum.

"Ah, Josh? Simon's up in his room. Thank you for coming. He was devastated earlier." She said sympathetically.

"Of course, I hope I can help him." I nodded.

"Go on up, first door on the right. You're exactly what he needs right now." She smiled.

I headed upstairs and knocked on Simon's door before entering.

Simon was sat cross-legged on his bed, though he stood and came up to me straight away, throwing his arms around me.

I put my arms around him, too, holding him tightly and rubbing his back.

"You okay?" I asked softly.

"I am now. Thank you for coming." He said quietly.

"Of course, if you need me, then I'll always be here." I smiled.

We sat down on his bed.

"So what happened today?' I asked.

"They said I didn't really fit the criteria for things like psychosis or bipolar. They assessed me for rarer things instead. Schizophrenia is the only thing I properly fit, and I'm also the age it commonly develops. So, we did an in-depth assessment, and I've been officially diagnosed." He explained.

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"I'm getting a blood test and an ecg, and if it's safe for me to take, I can start on quetiapine. It's an antipsychotic." He said.

"That's great. Why do you have to have those tests?" I asked.

"To make sure I don't have arrhythmia, or won't be able to process the medication. As long as my liver and heart are fine, I can take it." He explained.

"It's good they're being thorough. Are they gonna give you therapy alongside your medication?"

"Yeah, I'll have a counsellor to talk to, and my psychiatrist will be kept in the loop. They're gonna give me some self-help tools as well." He said.

"That's great. It sounds like they have a solid plan in place." I smiled.

"Thank you, it helps so much that you've been nothing but positive about this." He said appreciatively, looking down.

I took his hands in mine, smiling as he looked back up at me with reddened cheeks.

"Of course. This isn't something that has to ruin your life. It's just an obstacle, and I know you can overcome it." I said.

"I'll still always have it, though. They're just helping me to manage it." He said.

"So take their advice, talk to your counsellor, use the tools they give you, keep opening up to me, and take your medication properly. You'll manage it, I know you will. This doesn't have to define you." I smiled.