Chapter 21

CONTINUED TW

---

Josh's POV:

"Have you had any thoughts of taking your life?" Mrs Harriet asked. I said nothing. "Josh, I know these questions are uncomfortable. Let's get these overwith, okay?"

"Occasionally, I don't want to die, I just want all of this to end." I sighed.

"Have you ever come up with a plan? Taken any actions towards it?" She asked.

"I've thought about how I'd do it, but never tried to, nor made a plan to do so. I was just in a sad and morbid place. I didn't really want to do it, I was just weighing out my options." I admitted.

"And how would you do it?" She asked.

"I wouldn't do it, I really don't want to. I just want everything to go back to how it was." I told her.

"We'll circle back to that after these few questions. What have you been hurting yourself with?" She questioned.

"Pencil sharpener." I admitted uncomfortably.

"Okay, and why are you doing it?" She asked.

"Because I haven't felt anything since what happened. And it's also my way of punishing myself, I know that sounds stupid." I mumbled.

"Okay, that's the risk assessment done. I believe that you're not suicidal, and I believe that your self-harm is a reaction to something. Often, it's an addiction, and those are the instances when I deem a student at risk because it tends to escalate. I'm going to counsel you on what it is that this is a reaction to. I think that working through that is going to allow you to quit." She told me.

"So you're not going to tell my mum anything?" I asked.

"No, but I'm going to advise you to tell her. Because I know that if this is your way of coping with what happened, you're not going to be able to stop straight away, I know it's easier said than done. But if somebody at home knows, they can help keep you safe." She said.

"I'll think about telling her." I agreed. "But I won't guarantee that I'm gonna do it."

"That's all I can ask of you. Now why don't you tell me what it is that happened? What was the beginning of this?"

That was the question I'd been dreading.