chapter three

Josiah leaned up against his Harley, toothpick hanging from his mouth. As Magnolia pulled up and parked next to her brother, she pulled her phone off of the aux and got out of her car.

"Why do you always have to one-up me?" Magnolia placed her hands on her hips and stared up at her older brother.

"That's what I was created for! I'm doing my job very well I see. Chloé called me yesterday, and said you were dating one of the girls from the band, how's that going?" he asked, following his younger sister into the record shop.

"That gossipy bitch, I'm not dating her! Tina got her number for me!" Magnolia rolled her eyes and walked over to the cash register. Josiah, flipping through the vinyls stopped and grabbed the same Boygenius record his sister did the day before.

"Which girl?" Josiah asked as he walked over to the cash register.

"The middle one, with the tattoos," Magnolia replied, as she clocked into work.

"Julien Baker?" Josiah asked, placing the record back where it was previously.

"Yeah, that's her."

"Well, we'll see if I approve after today."

Magnolia shook her head, "We're not even dating, Josiah! We've had one conversation! It probably won't go anywhere!"

Josiah shrugged, "If you say that, then nothing will happen! Oh! Did you get that text from Mom?"

Going behind the stage, Magnolia grabbed 3 chairs and placed them on the stage. "No? Mom hasn't spoken to me since she attempted to kick me out of the house. What did she want?"

"She wanted to have a family dinner in two weeks, that's why I'm in town!" Josiah exclaimed as he sat down on one of the chairs.

Magnolia sighed, "What if I just showed up?" she asked, emerging back from behind the stage, this time with three microphones, and three mic stands in hand.

"I'd support you, as always. Truthfully, I was thinking about ditching it, we could just hang out. Just you and me," Josiah suggested before the record shop door flew open.

"AND ME!" Tina made her grand entrance, arms opened, strutting in with her girlfriend following quietly behind.

"Hello Tina, you haven't changed. Chlo, how do you deal with her?" Josiah teased, taking off his leather jacket, walking back behind the register, and throwing it over the chair.

"I ask myself that question every single day. Do you help with anything, Mags?" her best friend's girlfriend asked.

"Nothing for right now, I'll ask if I need anything. Tina, you owe me twenty dollars, you showed up a minute late," Magnolia reminded her.

Tina rolled her eyes, pulling out a twenty-dollar bill and handing it to her best friend. "That's the last time I make a bet."

"No it's not," everyone said in unison.

"Yeah.... you're right."