Chapter 5

Getting rid of the sunken feeling that I don't have Bradley wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I guess it was time that we left each other to find better people. The few months I was with him, we never went on a date and rarely hung out because of our crazy schedules so I guess I didn't miss out on much.

-------------------- 3 months later ------------------------------

"Honey!! Wake up! It's your big day" I hear my mother talking to me. "5 more minutes," I say lazily back. I know it's not going to be 5 more minutes because I'm so excited but I'm just so comfy.

10 minutes later, I'm dressed in my maroon, sparkle dress. It cuts off a little bit above the knee and has 3 quarter sleeves. I was wearing silver shoes and my hair was pulled back in a fishtail braid, if I had to say how I looked, I would admit that I looked pretty damn good.

I prance downstairs and wait to hear my families approval. I see my mom at the bottom of the stairs and when she looks up at me, a gasp escapes her lips, "Oh my darling, you look gorgeous!" My dad and my brother come in and my dad looks like he's seen a ghost. "Oh, honey.. do you think you should be wearing that? I mean, you look great, but aren't the boys going to go crazy and try to grope you or something?" My dad rambles on. I laugh and kiss my dad on the cheek and walk past him into the kitchen.

I hear my brother grunt as I walk by and I take it as he's saying I look good too.

"You guys are going to be there on time right?!" Ever since I was younger, my parents have been late to everything, even the father daughter dance! "Of course!! We have nothing planned today except to support you!"

I really appreciated that because I don't have friends to support me. Ever since I graduated early, all my "friends" wouldn't contact me back so I don't have many but who needs them anyways? It would be nice but sometimes it's just better to do things on your own I guess.

I sigh a breath of relief and go over to my brother "Joshy, can I please use your car today?" I have my license but I don't have the money for a car yet. "And why would I let you drive my precious car?" he retorts. "Uh cause I'm graduating and you love me". He seems to think it over but then sighs and gives me the keys. "Yay! You're the best!" I kiss his cheek and leave before he can change his mind.

I get in the jeep and slam the door. I put the car and reverse and off I go!!

I crank up the radio and nod my head to the beat of a new song and mumble the lyrics that I obviously have no idea what they are, but that doesn't stop me.

I love singing but guess what I suck at?

Singing.

After an hour car ride of singing and jamming out in my own little world, I get out of the jeep and walk over to the grassy area of the outside barrack. I have to think about my steps since I'm in 6-inch heels and could die at any moment if I step wrong.

Right, left, right, left.

The announcements of seating arrangements blast through the speakers and I sit where I am told which I remember clearly.

"Anyone whose last name start between T and Z, sit over there" my major points over to the far right side of the stage and we shuffle over.

I make my way to the stage and think back to when I was graduating from ROTC. It seems like it was only yesterday. All the teachers are there and along with every other college student who graduating from the 4-year college. We make it to our way to the chairs and I see my family piling in. I smile and wave just like I did before. De Ja Vu.

We wait while our recruiters give speeches, mainly about how they are excited for us but we all really know that they're just happy that they don't have to see us again.

We wait and they start calling names.

Vanessa Aburn is the first to be called because their calling from last names, which means I'll be almost last but I don't mind. I play back memories as the people get up one by one and then it's my turn to go up on stage. I didn't even realize that they called my name until someone nudged me. I go up and received my diploma with a big smile plastered on my face. Unlike last time, I didn't have to make a speech, in which, I am grateful for.

I'm graduating from UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles). For the past 4 years, I've been going to this school for my doctorate. Every weekend, every summer, and after school, or the ROTC program, I've been coming here to finish college early and to get a head start on life. It's all going to pay off... I know it. I can feel it in my bones.