Chapter 10

I stare at her in shock. She has to be kidding right? Oh, I got it! I'm dreaming. Yup, that's it.

I pinch my arm as hard as I can and get a sinking feeling deep in my gut when I don't 'wake up'.

She stares at me with expectant eyes. What? did she think I was just going to say yes and be all dandy? Because if so, she has another thing coming her way. This is insane! I should say no, right? I mean, saying yes hasn't escaped my mind either but... I don't even know this man! But I guess I do want to help out the military....

I groan and put my head in my hands. "I don't know, okay?"

I look up and her eyes have grown warm. This lady really has emotional issues.

"So, you'll think about it? You don't understand how amazing it would be. You'd be saving lives, the military. You'll save the world, Ms. Woods." Great, thanks lady for making me feel shitty for wanting to say no. "And if this doesn't appeal to you, just remember that you'll be considered a princess or queen, depending on the time that all of this goes through.

My head perks up at this. I mean, there's no harm to this right? I mean, I'll have money, a castle, I'll be famous, and how bad can this guy be? What can go wrong?

I look up at her "I'll have to think about it, okay? It's not a no, but it's not yes either"

She only nods and leads me out of the room. Everyone seems to calm down a second but there's still papers flying and people acting frantic. I'm still curious as to what's so important to ruin this space with such clutter.

I turn around on my heel. "What's wrong with everyone?". The smile that was once there has vanished and left no trace of it; almost as if she's never smiled before. I think she understands that her face has led something on and almost as fast as it appeared, it was gone with her pearly white teeth showing. "Oh don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing, is gonna be alright," she says in a little sing-song voice. I know that song from when I was in about 10th grade and I loved Reggae music. I remember it as 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley. Good times, good times.

I pull my attention back to her but she's staring at me with an intense expression which I can't really understand. I fake a smile and nod towards the door. "I better get going." She seemed to pull her head out of her own thoughts as well. "Yeah okay, sure."

I'm just about to walk out when I feel a small hand on my wrist, pulling me back. "Think about it. Don't just scan over the thought. You can change the world for the better, Winter." I gulp and she nods as if telling me that this conversation is over. I smile a small, unsure smile and head out.

"Tonight's going to be a long night," I thought.