Chapter 14

Today's the day that I go into the military to tell them my choice... But what if I make the wrong one?! I don't know what to do anymore. Josh is going to hurt so badly but... What are my mom and dad going to think? They made it pretty clear the other night that they want me to marry this guy. I know it would be saving so many people but... I'm hurting myself.

----------------------------------------------

I pull into the parking lot of the Sacramento Air Force Training Base. Everything is how I remember; brick walls everywhere, papers stacked all over the place and people in their uniforms talking quietly amongst themselves as if they have something to hide.

I go up to the front desk but it's a different lady than last time.

"um... Hello? Can I see Sgt? Smith please?" The lady looks up as if just noticing my appearance. "And who do you think you are?" "I'm pretty sure my name is Winter Woods and I'm supposed to be seeing Sgt. Smith so if you could let him know I'm here, that would be great." I turn around on my heel and sit in one the waiting chairs. This place still reminds me of a doctor's office.

5 minutes later, Carter comes walking from behind a corner. He's looking intensely at his phone. Once he reaches the waiting room, he looks up and our eyes connect. The corners of his lips twitch up in a cute way and he nods his head indicating to follow him, and that's exactly what I did.

We walk around corner after corner and then finally stop at a room that's only white. No posters, no magazines, no colored counter tops. Everything is plain white, even the chairs. It's very odd.

"Come here and sit please," Carter says, showing me the chairs. He has to guide me everywhere because every time I see him, my eyes never leave. They're either on his body, his face, the back of his head or where he tells me to look. It's always him.

"So what have you decided to be your choice?" I would have expected some emotion come from his face, maybe even a glint of hope that I'll go to the prince, but there's nothing. "It was a very hard decision and I feel like I'm still deciding on it. Can you tell me something's first before I make my decision final?" I ask. "Of course you can. We don't have many answers since he's a little... Hard to work with, but I, or we, will do the best to educate you on what you need to know. So what are your questions?"

I didn't expect him to actually say he could answer some questions but I feel like I need to choose my questions wisely so I don't waste his time.

"Will I ever be able to see my family again?" I ask. Hope is dripping from my words. He looks at me straight in the eye and says "I don't know. Winter, I wish I could tell you that you would be able to see your friends and family again, but I can't lie to you. I'm sorry."

I figured as much.

"It's alright. On the to next question. Since he's an attractive prince, will I have to be an attractive princess? And will I meet the king?"

He laughs like it's the funniest thing in the world. "Oh Winter, you already are an attractive princess. You don't need a prince or king to tell you so. And in those words, yes you will meet the king. You will probably live with them too since it's a royal family and they can't split apart. But winter, if you decide to go there, you HAVE to be on your best behavior because if you're not, they won't like you and all of the trouble to get you there, cause there will be trouble, will be for nothing." He emphasized the 'have' so I guess he's serious. This is tiring just listening to him.

"Okay." "Okay?"

"I'll do it."