04. Lidocaine

(Lorelei's P.O.V)
{Flashback}

"Don't go," I pleaded with Grayson for the hundredth time. "Please."

A whisper of a smile played on his lips as he took my face in his hands. "You're being paranoid, Lynna. Nothing is going to happen to me."

"But I saw-" He cut me off with a quick kiss.

I kissed him back with as much passion as I could muster. A sense of panic swelled with in me. When he pulled away, his blue eyes were dancing.

"You don't really believe in that sort of thing, do you? It was just a dream," he said to me.

"I was awake, Grayson. It wasn't a dream. Just stay with me. Please," I was begging.

"You know I can't do that," he said with a shake of his head. "It's a tradition."

I folded my arms across my chest. "Fine. Then I'm coming with you."

"Football team only. No exceptions. You know that. No girlfriends allowed." He looked me up and down and grinned. "No matter how adorable they are."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. What I saw wasn't a dream, was it? I was awake, so it couldn't be. Could it? Perhaps he was right. I was being paranoid. I ran a hand through my hair out of exasperation and frowned.

He laughed softly. "Lynn, I will see you first thing tomorrow, okay? We'll go on that picnic I promised you. Just the two of us."

He grabbed me by my hips and pulled me against him. I clutched at the fabric of his shirt before standing on my tippy toes to crush my lips against his. He kissed me back eagerly. I deepened the kiss as I entwined my fingers in his hair. He groaned in response before he pulled away. He stared down at me with lust dancing like wildfire in his bright blue eyes.

"Trying to seduce me into staying, huh?" He teased with a grin. "Nice try. They'll be plenty of time for that tomorrow, okay?"

I nodded. "Okay," I whispered. "I love you, Grayson."

He flashed me a breathtaking smile as he turned to the door. "I love you more."

{End of Flashback}

***

Grayson was wrong. There was no tomorrow. The last four words he said to me still echoed in the crevices of my mind.

I love you more.

My heart ached painfully at the memory as I dressed for school. I was dreading the second day of school far more than I dreaded the first, which was really saying something.

I pulled on a pair of gray sweatpants and a plain t-shirt before I put on one of Grayson's hoodies that Noah had dropped off for me yesterday. I put my hair in a messy bun and glanced at myself in the mirror for a split second.