23. Not Your Hero

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V)

My heart was in my throat as I stared at the sleeping girl. Her breaths were slow and even; her heart had slowed to a peaceful cadence. Unable to resist, I reached out to lightly caress her jaw with the side of my hand. The simple gesture caused a fire to burn through me, igniting me from the inside out. This was dangerous, wasn't it? Dangerous and reckless. What a fool I am-Allowing myself to touch the unconscious girl as she dreams her private dreams.

"Edward," she murmured my name, causing panic to settle in my core.

Had I been caught? Her eyes remained closed, but the faintest of smiles flitted to her rosy lips. My tense body relaxed when I realized she was still fast asleep. She was, once again, dreaming about me. A thrill like no other traveled throughout my body, settling in my core.

"Hero," she whispered into the darkness of the room.

Edward. Hero. Could it be? Highly doubtful. Quite improbable, if you ask me. The two words didn't belong in the same continent, let alone the same sentence. Granted, I had saved the girl, but I was certain that after finding out our secret, she would consider me the furthest thing from a hero.

I replayed Alice's memory in my mind- Lynna didn't seem frightened whatsoever when she found out the horrifying truth about what we are. I wondered how different things would be now. Sure, she wasn't afraid of Alice, but would she fear me? Would she bite her tongue in my presence, fearful of upsetting me? Or would we continue with our back-and-forth banter and side-eye glances. Despite myself, I was hoping for the latter.

My eyes stared longingly at her face, lingering on her plush lips that were slightly parted. They looked so soft. I imagined they would feel like warm silk against my own. I inhaled deeply, relishing in the burn of her scent as it scorched my throat and lungs. My mouth watered- For more reasons than I care to admit.

I don't know what possessed me to lightly caress her lower lip with the pad of my thumb, but I instantly regretted it. Electricity zinged through my body at the touch, starting from my fingertips and working its way down, settling in my groin. I inhaled a slow, shaky breath as I struggled to get a grip on the forbidden desire surging through me.

To my dismay, just as I pulled back, her eyes shot open- As if she, too, felt the electrical jolt travel through her. She gasped as her startled eyes locked with mine. My heart dropped to my stomach. She blinked and I was gone, leaving her to believe that my presence was a remnant of a dream. Or a nightmare.

(Lynna's P.O.V)

My heart was hammering wildly in my chest. My lips tingled, reeling from his icy touch. It felt so real. My hand flew up to my lips, in disbelief that I had dreamed something so vividly. Fear wrapped around my heart as I came to a sudden realization that absolutely horrified me-Would Edward know that I had dreamed of him? Would he be able to sift through my thoughts and pull that information from my mind?