31. Something Precious

||Edward's P

||Edward's P.O.V.||

When I walked into my home after a quick late-night hunt, I was surprised to see balloons hanging from the ceiling. Esme was arranging a table that held an extravagant vase full of colorful flowers and a fancy punch bowl that I had never seen before. Emmett was sitting on the ground with Alice, filling up balloons of every color with confetti.

"What's going on here?" I asked them, studying their excited thoughts with intent.

Alice squealed in excitement, springing to her feet. "It's Lynna's birthday today!"

My brows flew up my forehead in surprise. I had no idea. Why didn't Lynna tell me that her birthday was coming up? Granted, I hadn't thought to ask her.

"Oh," was all I said, taking in the decorations. "And I take it you're planning a party?"

She squealed once again. Esme and Emmett smiled; they too were clearly excited. Jasper rounded the corner and kissed Alice on her temple, wrapping his arms around her in an embrace. I was shocked when Rosalie rounded the corner carrying several gift bags. She was helping? Was I the only one that had no prior knowledge of this? Judging by their thoughts, it would seem so.

"Yes! And she has no idea!" Alice exclaimed, beaming at me. "She's gonna love it."

I mentally cringed when I recalled the last time that we threw a 'surprise party'. Things ended in disaster and all over a simple paper cut. The thought of history repeating itself caused panic to pierce through me. Jasper was quick to pick up on the strong emotion, causing him to quirk a brow at me in confusion.

"Alice. Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked, trying to sound casual as I rubbed my chin.

"Why wouldn't it be?" She questioned. Don't be silly.

I cast a wary glance at Jasper, hoping he wouldn't take offense as I responded, "You know what happened last time."

Jasper stiffened, guilt coursing through him. Alice's eyes widened, surprised that I even brought it up.

"I do," she spoke in a slow, careful voice, pursing her lips. "But this time, we're using gift bags. No sharp edges. Just tissue."

I've already thought of everything, she told me via her thoughts. I appreciate you taking an interest. It means a lot, but I'm certain that history won't repeat itself. We are taking every precaution.

Jasper's bright golden eyes assured me that he had recently fed. I was well aware that his self-control over the past couple decades has improved, but I couldn't help but be leery. I was extremely protective over Lynna. How would I be able to hide that little tidbit from my empath of a brother?

"We're having the party around six today. I've already come up with an excuse to get her over here," she explained, studying my sullen expression.

Emmett piped up from his place on the floor. "Are you going to show up, Eddie boy?"