26. The Confession

(Lynna's P

(Lynna's P.O.V)

Things were incredibly tense and awkward between me and Edward after the kiss. He chose to ignore me, acting like I didn't exist. Anytime I was around, he was staring straight ahead with a solemn expression. The only inkling he ever gave that he somewhat acknowledged my presence was his hands curling into fists, the whites of his knuckles trying to pierce through his stone-like skin.

Despite his outright rejection, I couldn't get the kiss out of my head. I couldn't get him out of my head. I found him creeping into my thoughts at the most unexpected times, as though he was taunting me. I hated to admit it, but my feelings were kind of hurt. The kiss we shared was unbelievable. I had never believed in the whole 'sparks flying' thing, but Edward had proved me wrong. That fact alone was enough to make me feel utterly guilty; I had never felt sparks like that when I kissed Grayson and I hated myself for it.

My heart was aching in my chest at the thought when Edward walked into Chemistry and took his assigned seat next to me. I tried desperately to keep my heart rate at bay under his presence, knowing he could hear it. So far, I have been somewhat successful, aside from the occasional flutter. My brows were furrowed as I stared out the window and watched the raindrops collecting on the windowpane.

I tried in vain to ignore his presence, but the electrical current surging between us made it nearly impossible.

"I'm sorry," his velvet voice washed over me, pulling me from my thoughts.

My head swiveled to look at him. As I stared into his ember eyes, I noticed a strange emotion burning in their depths. A lump formed in my throat at the sight. I pressed my lips into a thin line before ripping my gaze from him. I could feel him staring at the side of my face as I fidgeted with the pencil between my fingers.

"Are you just going to ignore me now?" His voice was laced with sadness, which sounded quite odd coming from him; I was used to him being angry- not sad.

I swallowed against the lump in my throat and forced myself to look at him once more. My heart stuttered in my chest at the sorrowful expression playing on his porcelain face.

"You mean like how you've been ignoring me for the past week?" I questioned with a quirked brow, trying not to sound too bitter.

"Like I said, I'm sorry," he stated sternly, narrowing his golden eyes at me.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Okay."

He groaned out of frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Are you kidding me? Will you just accept my apology already?"

"Why should I?" I shot back, folding my arms on top of the table, watching as his brows shot up his forehead.

The sorrow had vanished from his features- His usual anger claiming its rightful place. "Because I am sorry, Lynna. Just accept my apology so we can move on with our lives."