38. Just Be Mine

||Edward's P

||Edward's P.O.V.||

"What the hell was that about?" Emmett asked as he followed me through the woods surrounding the Caldwells' Estate.

I was physically shaking from the amount of raw anger coursing through my veins. Tyler's vile thoughts echoed in my mind, taunting me. The thought of him touching Lynna- pleasuring her, his name falling off her lips in ecstasy.. It was enough to drive me insane. I couldn't stomach the thought of his hands on her in any way, shape, or form. Period.

"Please leave me alone," I hissed through gritted teeth as I sped through the trees, desperate to escape my obnoxious brother and his incessant thoughts.

Is there something going on between you and Lynna? "If so, you need to tell us. Seriously."

I stopped running abruptly, whipping around to face him with a look of fury.

"Didn't you hear what she said? I know you were listening."

A scowl crawled across my face at the reminder. Lynna was all too quick to assure Tyler that 'nothing was going on between us'. I clenched my fists at the memory.

Emmett planted himself directly in front of me, offering me a boyish grin. His thoughts were nonjudgmental but leery.

"Yes, I heard. But what she says and what is can be two different things." He quirked a brow, waiting impatiently for an answer. Come on, bro. Tell me the truth.

I met his curious gaze and forced myself to say, "We're just friends. And that's the truth."

And it was. Still, he gave me a disbelieving look.

"You were ready to rip Tyler apart back there and you're telling me you're 'just friends'?" For real, dude?

Clenching my jaw, I said, "It's the truth, Emmett."

He folded his arms across his broad chest and squinted his eyes in suspicion, clearly not buying it.

"There's nothing going on between us, Emmett. Nothing." I shot him a stern stare.

His eyes widened to the size of saucers. "Then what was that all about, bro? Huh?"

A scowl crawled across my face when he replayed the events that just took place in his head. Seeing Lynna's horrified face when I wrapped my hand around Tyler's throat caused a wave of guilt to wash over me. She deserved more than an apology. I was pulled from my own thoughts when Emmett raised an expectant brow, waiting for answers.

"I don't like the guy," I told him, shrugging in faux nonchalance. "He doesn't have good intentions."

He pressed his lips into a thin line, studying me. "What are his intentions?"