22. Nice Save

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V)

"Come on, Edward. Please," Alice begged for the umpteenth time within the last ten minutes. "You haven't played baseball with us in nearly two decades! It would mean so much to all of us."

I wasn't in the mood to be around my family. I wasn't in the mood to be around anyone. I never was.

"I'd really rather not," I said to my sister who was looking up at me with hope in her eyes.

She stomped her foot and huffed, instantly reminding me of a certain human girl who was occupying each of my thoughts.

"Puh-lease, Edward! Please!" She jutted out her lower lip in a pout, causing me to roll my eyes.

Perhaps, it would be a good distraction from my incessant thoughts. Alice beamed at me and squealed. You would think she was the mindreader with how quickly her vision changed.

"Yay! I'll see you in forty-three minutes. Don't be late!" She giggled as she flitted away. I knew you'd say yes.

Of course she did.

***

"Edward's out of practice," Emmett chuckled lowly from across the field. "Take it easy on him, Rose," he teased.

Emmett, Rosalie, and Esme were teamed up, leaving Alice, Jasper, and me on the opposing team, since Carlisle picked up a shift at the hospital. I held the bat firmly in my hands as Rosalie readied her pitch. Just as she was about to throw the ball, a scream flew through Alice's lips.

My head swiveled in her direction, my entire body stiffening when I saw the vision. Lynna- swerving to dodge a deer and losing control of the car, causing it to flip before rolling off the bridge and into the river below. Lynna- unconscious and covered in blood as the water came pouring in.

"No!" Alice screamed, collapsing to the ground before Jasper rushed over to her.

Panic gripped me. Pure fear coursed through my veins. I felt cold. I recognized the bridge- It was less than a two-minute run from here; for me anyway. The others weren't as fast, so I knew it was up to me. Without saying a word, I took off at a full sprint towards the bridge. I had never run so fast in my life; my legs seemed to have a mind of their own as they carried me through the woods.

As I ran, the panic I felt drastically increased. I could only assume that Jasper had been manipulating our emotions in the field, trying to keep the panic at bay. Now, it was unleashed full force. The thought of something happening to her had me seeing red. My stomach twisted painfully. A stabbing sensation pierced through my chest, nearly knocking the breath out of me. No harm could come to her. That's all I knew.

I leapt out of the woods, landing in the middle of the desolate road, planting myself firmly in front of the bridge. Just as I did so, I saw her blue SUV round the corner. She turned the wheel sharply, avoiding the deer that had jumped out of the woods. The high-pitched sound of the tires squealing against the pavement caused me to jump into action. Using my full speed, I practically teleported in front of her car, placing my hands on the hood and slowly guiding the car to a slow and steady stop, trying not to jostle the human girl behind the wheel.