25. Breathless

(Lynna's P

(Lynna's P.O.V.)

A deep sigh escaped my lips as I walked across the parking lot towards the school. Mamaw had to drop me and Dustin due off to my car still being in the shop. She had a meeting to get to at the local library, so my brother and I were 'extra' early for school.

"This... sucks," Dustin breathed out with a tight-lipped smile.

I nodded in agreement. "It does."

His smile grew tenfold when he spotted Jade in the distance; she was beside the baseball field and waving frantically.

"Luckily for me, my super hott girlfriend showed up early as well." He smirked. "This was definitely not planned, just so you know." His voice was dripping with sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." I grinned, giving him a shove in his girlfriend's direction.

He chuckled. "Duly noted, sis. Duly noted." With that, he took off at a sprint towards her.

I was smiling as I started walking towards the picnic table that was on the edge of the school grounds, close to the woods. Just as I was going to sit down, I felt a hand wrap around my clothed arm, pulling me back. I spun around and was met with the solemn face of Edward Cullen. His hand fell back to his side as his ochre eyes bore into mine. I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"I need to talk to you," he spoke in a low voice. "Privately."

My heart dropped to my stomach before fluttering away; the deep, gravelly sound of his voice caused a knot to form in the pit of my stomach that made my knees weak.

I glanced around and threw my hands up in the air. "There's literally no one else here."

He nodded towards the privacy of the woods. "I don't want to take any chances," he mumbled in a dull tone.

I exhaled forcefully. "Okay then."

I was a bundle of nerves as I followed him through the trees. What could he possibly want to speak with me about? A part of me felt... giddy? When we were at a safe enough distance from the school, according to Edward's standards, he hesitantly turned to face me. My mouth went dry under his intense gaze.

"I need a favor from you." He sounded completely calm and collected, but his jaw was clenched.

He was standing a good five feet away from me; I could tell he was being sure to keep his distance. I tilted my head to the side, studying his stoic face that gave nothing away.

"What sort of 'favor'?" I wondered, instantly intrigued.

My stomach was doing flip-flops. I felt like I was going to be sick, but in a good way. His eyes flickered to the ground briefly before reconnecting with mine. An array of emotions appeared to be on display in his golden orbs, but when he blinked-They vanished.