27. Friends With Benefits Without The Benefits

(Lynna's P

(Lynna's P.O.V)

The slight drizzle of rain clung to my skin as I walked through the school parking lot. Noah and Paige were standing in the middle of the hallway, hand in hand. A smile flitted to my lips at the sight.

I was a bundle of nerves when I walked into history. That feeling only worsened when I saw that Edward was already seated and staring up at me with the most tender of smiles. As usual, we were the first to arrive, so there was no one around to see the way he was looking at me so tenderly. It was a far cry from his wrathful glare that I had grown accustomed to since we met.

With knees like jello, I walked over and claimed my seat next to him. As I was digging through my bag, his smooth voice washed over me.

"Good morning, Lynna," he said to me. "How'd you sleep?"

"Like you care," was my automatic response.

I was so used to our back-and-forth banter that the words spilled from my lips without a second thought. He quirked a brow at me, his smile growing.

"I do care," he breathed out with a nod, his eyes glinting mischievously. "Let's try this again, shall we?" He paused, chucking lowly, before continuing, "Good morning, Lynna. How did you sleep?"

I furrowed my brows. Looks like I didn't imagine last night after all. My heart stuttered in my chest under his innocent gaze.

"Um, fine," I was quick to say, gulping around the sudden lump in my throat. "I mean.. I slept fine. Thanks for asking. How did you sle...?" I trailed off, stopping myself from finishing the sentence. "You don't sleep," I stated, reminding myself out loud.

He shook his head and laughed musically. "Nope."

He tilted his head to the side, his golden eyes dancing majestically before he reached over and wrapped a stray curl around his finger. My breathing quickened at the simple gesture.

He released my curl and smiled a glorious smile as he said, "I sure wish I could dream though."

My heart skipped a beat at the sincerity in his voice. He slowly reached over and lightly trailed his cool fingers against the back of my hand that was tightly clutching my textbook. I closed my eyes as I relished in his touch. It was as though fire was dancing from his fingertips, igniting my skin in their wake. I longed to feel his touch where the heat settled between my legs. That had me thinking... Would he be able to be intimate with me? Is that even a possibility? His heart doesn't beat... So, could he even get... hard? I knew enough about anatomy to know that you can't get an erection without blood flow, so how could he..?

I shook my head, dispelling the thoughts. That certainly wasn't any of my business. He probably didn't even want me to that extent anyway. I felt foolish for even thinking about it. A blush to end all blushes crept to my cheeks. He swiftly removed his fingertips from my hand and gently brushed them along my blushing cheeks. I shivered involuntarily under his touch.