11. It Isn't Safe

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V.)

Lynna didn't show up for English. Dread settled in the pit of my stomach and didn't leave. Throughout class, I was at war with myself. Should I try to find her? Did she leave? Is she okay? Oh, who cares?! Why was I doing this to myself?!

Alice was worried about the girl as well, but her thoughts hadn't taken on an obsessive turn like mine had. Lynna's brother, Dustin, was clueless about her whereabouts, so he was of no help. I convinced myself that she was ditching class once again. No doubt, her discussion with Noah hadn't gone well. When study hall rolled around, I was once again looking for her despite myself. I was a bundle of nerves when Noah approached my table which was occupied with myself and my siblings.

Alice offered the boy a gentle smile. "Is everything okay?"

His thoughts alerted me that he was worried about Lynna as well.

Have you seen Lynna? Her car is still here but I can't find her anywhere. He told us with a frown.

A sigh escaped my lips. I had a feeling I knew exactly where she was.

I haven't seen her. I'm sorry, Alice told him, wearing a matching concerned frown. I'll help you look for her.

Have you looked in the utility closet? I asked Noah, who looked at me with a perplexed expression. He furrowed his brows and shook his head; he had no idea what I was talking about.

I sighed heavily before I stood up. Alice stared at me in confusion.

"I'll be back," I mumbled bitterly before heading out into the hallway towards the utility closet.

As I approached the closet, I heard her all-too-familiar heartbeat. Her heart was beating much slower than usual. Her breathing was slow and steady. I realized then that she must be sleeping. I froze at the door, unsure what to do. Do I knock? Or do I open the door and try to wake her without frightening her?

Slowly and carefully, I opened the door, not wanting to startle the girl. She was leaning against the wall beside an empty mop bucket. Golden waves cascaded down her chest; I watched as her chest rose and fell with each breath she took. Her plush lips were slightly parted and moving as if she was having a silent conversation.

I used this an opportunity to try to hone in on her thoughts. Perhaps, her guard would be down while she slept? I knelt down beside her, tilting my head to the side as I studied her face before I focused intently on her hushed thoughts. The whispers were less chaotic and much quieter. It was peaceful; serene. To my surprise, with some difficulty, I was able to break through the walls of her mind, but only for a brief moment. She was dreaming; she was in a cemetery. I got the sense that she was searching for something- or someone.

I nearly stumbled back as I was practically forced from her mind- as if an invisible shield was forcing me out. I developed a migraine to end all migraines as a parting gift. I rubbed my temples and groaned internally due to the searing pain.