29. Playing With Fire

"How much longer, Master?" The newborn asked the dark-haired vampire whose crimson eyes were narrowed into slits

The ancient vampire pursed his lips as he stared at the newest addition to his coven. "As long as it takes," his voice was stern.

"We can't stay here forever," a melodic voice spoke up, appearing from the shadows with a grim frown. "This territory has already been claimed."

Charlotte met her Master's furious gaze and didn't even flinch. Out of all the vampires he has created, she has the one he cherished the most. Many have mistaken the pair for mates, but in Wilkin's eyes, that was the furthest thing from the truth. Charlotte Ferguson was a gorgeous creature-With shiny black hair that hung like silk down her back and the body of a goddess. But, despite her best efforts, she never caught his eye. Still yet, she was the only one of his subjects that was able to get by with having a sharp tongue.

"No one knows we're here," Wilkin assured her, meeting her ruby red eyes with a sly smile. "And I plan on keeping it that way." His gaze flitted to the sad-eyed boy who was leaning against a tree. "As long as no one has any more slip-ups." His voice was as sharp as a blade as he shot daggers at the young vampire, who visibly cowered in fear.

"I didn't mean to," the boy spoke softly, hanging his head in shame. "It won't happen again."

"You're right-It won't." Wilkin's voice was firm and unforgiving.

"Still yet," Charlotte continued, hoping to draw attention away from the traumatized boy. "What I said remains true. We can't stay here forever."

Wilkin paced the small area with his hands behind his back. "That coven is no threat, I assure you. I'll make our presence known in the area in due time. No harm will come to us by their hand." He appeared thoughtful for a moment before he added with a smirk, "Even if they tried."

She shook her head, her jet-black hair rippling down her back as she did so. "It's not the coven I'm worried about. You and I both know that if we stay put for too long, she will find us."

Wilkin's eyes flashed with undaunted fury. "You leave that demon to me. We aren't leaving until she's ready."

A heavy sigh escaped from the depths of her soul. "What if she never is? What if you're doing all of this for nothing? A lot is at stake here, Wilkin. Everything you've worked so hard for could be lost. And for what? A girl?! A human girl!"

Despite his frustration, a flicker of a smile flitted to his lips. "Aye," he breathed out.

Charlotte let out a light scoff and folded her arms across her chest in frustration. "I hope she's worth it. I really do."

Stars were dancing in Wilkin's eyes as he responded automatically, "She is."

The young vampire was unable to stop himself from speaking up as well. "She definitely is," he agreed, wearing a forlorn smile.