17. Balloons

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V)

"Emmett, Jasper- go hang that sign over the door, please," Alice was barking orders when I walked into the gym after school.

My sister's head swiveled in my direction. A huge smile spread across her face when she saw me. You came!

I hadn't forgotten about the promise I had made to myself- To be kinder to Alice. It was for that reason and that reason only that I chose to stay and help set up for the dance. It had absolutely nothing to do with a certain blue-eyed girl that 'hated me a little less'. I found myself fighting back a smile as I remembered our conversation that we had this morning.

As if on cue, Lynna walked into the gym with Tyler by her side. My eyes immediately narrowed in her direction before glaring fiercely at Tyler. Alice sauntered over to her friend with a beaming smile.

"I see you've brought help," Alice mused with a knowing smile.

"Yeah. Noah and Paige are on their way as well," Lynna said to her.

"Great!" Alice exclaimed, clasping her hands together excitedly. "Well, you guys can start blowing up balloons. I want to finish the balloon arch tonight."

I watched as Lynna sat down in the floor, sitting cross-legged next to Tyler as she reached for a balloon.

"I bet I can blow it faster," she said with a grin.

Tyler laughed, his thoughts taking a perverted turn. My glare intensified towards the dumb jock.

"I bet you can. I'm sure you have a lot more experience in that department," he chuckled, giving her the side eye.

Blood rushed to her cheeks as she caught on to what he was saying. She punched his shoulder in a playful manner.

"Perv," she muttered before chuckling despite herself.

"Edward, do you mind helping with the balloons?" Alice asked, appearing by my side.

I shrugged in faux nonchalance. "Sure."

Another smile spread across her face as she studied me. I'm glad you came. It means a lot.

I gave her a nod and a half-hearted smile before I approached Lynna. She looked up at me as she finished tying up a yellow balloon. I sat down several feet away from her and reached for a balloon. Aside from side-eye glances, she didn't acknowledge me.

"I'm think I'm going to pass out. I don't have the best lungs, you know," Tyler joked as he tied off his second balloon.

"Probably from all the weed you smoke. Freight train," Lynna flashed him a teasing smile.

"Choo choo," he laughed.

I rolled my eyes at their banter, not amused in the slightest. Several balloons later, Noah and Paige entered the gym and sat down in front of Lynna and Tyler.