34. As You Wish

||Edward's P

||Edward's P.O.V||

There were forty-seven beetles crawling on the aged oak tree in the backyard. Make that forty-eight. The gaping hole in my chest throbbed painfully as I stared out my bedroom window. This was the first night I had spent away from her in two weeks, and I felt like I was going crazy. Counting was my only distraction. Other than that, she occupied each of my thoughts. There was a tugging sensation in my chest, seeming to be pulling me in her direction-As if the universe itself wanted me to be near her.

But no. She didn't want me there tonight. It was clear that she wanted some space and giving her some distance was the least I could do. I knew she would grow tired of our arrangement eventually, but I hadn't expected it to be so soon.

"Brooo!" Emmett's booming voice pulled me from my thoughts as he barged into my room.

I turned and shot him an annoyed glare. His thoughts alerted me that he wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon.

"What do you want, Emmett?" I asked with a sigh.

He shrugged nonchalantly as he leaned against the doorway. "Just wanting to check on ya." You're never here anymore. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

Guilt coursed through me in that moment. How would he react if he knew that I was spending each of my nights with the very girl they believe I despise? With the very girl that also happens to be Alice's niece. With the very girl that Emmett, himself, was oddly protective of.

"I'm fine," I stated curtly, managing to keep the emotion out of my voice.

He arched his brows, not buying it. "Oh, really? Is that why you've resorted to counting again?"

I shook my head as I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. School would be starting in a couple of hours. I would be seeing her in less than one hundred and twenty minutes. The pain in my chest eased up at the thought, allowing me to take a deep breath.

"I'm not counting. Just admiring the view," I responded, turning to face the window.

He snorted. Admiring the view? "Trees?"

"Trees," I mumbled as I started counting down the seconds.

***

I was the first to arrive to class for obvious reasons. The empty seat beside me caused a pit to form in my stomach. I was on pins and needles as I waited for her to stride in. My head swiveled every time the door opened, and my heart dropped every time it wasn't her that walked into the classroom. I stole a quick glance at the clock that hung in the front of the room and frowned. She was always one of the first students to arrive; this was unlike her.

Two minutes and twenty-nine seconds passed before Alice and Emmett sauntered in, taking their seats behind me with matching smiles. My sister eyed me curiously, tilting her head to the side as she studied the forlorn expression on my face.