Chapter 4: Surprise

~Colin's POV~

I can feel how livid I am. How fucking livid, I am beyond angry, beyond frustrated. NO! No!? Who does Reese think he is employed by? Has he not realized, after nearly five years, that I am not the kind of man that people say no to, least of all his employees?

I step out of the elevator, my jaw tight with frustration and find myself coming to a halt. Ellie MacWan is waiting for the elevator, standing with one of the other interns, one I don't know the name of but I do recognize her from the group that Emery was hired with.

I gaze at her in surprise, and she gazes at me with a deep frown.

"Go ahead," Miss MacWan says to her co-worker, who steps onto the elevator and heads off. The girl turns to me and nods formally "Mr Corrette."

I force an even breath through my teeth to calm myself down. I am not in the state of mind to talk to Emery's roommate, I can feel the need to drink again, my head is throbbing a little. That's probably why I reacted so angrily towards Reese. Well, that and I'm not used to him saying no to me.

"By the way," Miss MacWan continues when I have stayed quiet long enough. "You can stop paying me her rent. I can afford the rent and extra groceries. I can take care of her on my own. We don't need your help."

I feel my eyes harden and my hand tighten into a fist. I can take care of her on my own. She has picked the wrong man to cross. Emery is mine! No she's not. Well, she is not Ellie MacWan's either.

"I can afford to keep it up," I mutter coldly.

"What if I don't want your help?"

"I don't give a fuck what you need," I snarl. "I care about Emery getting what she needs and if paying you a couple thousand dollars a month is what it will take then I will do it. She might have left me, but I still care about her and I will still look out for her, even if it's from a distance."

Ellie blinks a little gazing at me with a small nod. She takes a moment to look me over before frowning a little "have you been drinking, sir?"

I snicker a little "don't question me, Miss MacWan, it's not your job."

Ellie considers me a moment longer before she nods. She steps over to the elevator button and glances at me. "I am taking care of her. She'll be okay, with or without you." Why did I have to make the elevators so fast and efficient? I want her to have to wait longer, I want to be able to defend myself, tell her to go fuck herself that I would still look out for Emery and make sure she had what she needed, but instead, she steps on the elevator and disappears.

Emery freaking Palmer is going to be the death of me even though she is not even near me. How is that possible? Stepping out the front doors I glare at the man standing beside the black town car.

"Nixion?" I growl.

"Yes, sir," the man says with a nod, he opens the back door for me, "it's an honour to meet you, sir."

I get into the car and glare out the window. London better have a scotch prepared for me the moment I step into the house. Fuck Ellie MacWan and how easily she accepted Emery, what happened to her believing Emery was her competition. Fuck her and her ability to look after Emery and her needs at the moment. She'll be okay, with or without you. Fuck her!

When Nixion pulls up at the house, I get out and head inside. "London a scotch," I order as I slam the door, making the house tremble a little. Tossing my jacket at the woman I head up to my room and change into some joggers and a t-shirt. Heading to the fitness room I don't even strap on gloves before I start beating the hell out of a sandbag.