Chapter 13: Acquaintances

~Colin's POV~

"Oh my god, that dress is incredible, Emery."

Emery smiles looking at Joyce "thanks."

I glance at Emery with a warm smile, her dress is incredible. It's a maroon little dress which hangs loosely off her hips and when she turns it twirls up wonderfully so that I can get just a peek at her lacy cherry-red panties. The straps are off the shoulders and her hair is done up in a high bun which makes her neck perfectly bare and easy to kiss. It's perfect.

Joyce smiles glancing at me with a small, annoyed smile "my head is killing me."

"Already?" I ask with small laugh. "You must be getting older."

Joyce shakes her head, holding my gaze "how is he?"

I frown a little glancing at Emery, before turning back to Joyce. I slowly shake my head "forget about him, if he is smart, we will never see him again."

"And if he isn't?" Emery asks glancing at me with a small frown.

I glance at her frowning a little. "Forget about him, please," I urge. I gaze at her with a small smile kissing her forehead "tonight is supposed to be a celebration, let's focus on that."

Emery nods slowly before she smiles.

I return the smile and give her hand a gentle squeeze. I step into the house behind her and glance over at Gael who is watching the game in the living room. He glances up at us and pauses the game, he gets to his feet and walks over to the whiskey decanter to refresh his drink.

"Emery how wonderful to see you again," he says as he turns to us.

Emery smiles warmly and nods "you too, Gael. How are you?"

"I'm doing well," he says. He glances at me and gives me a stiff nod "Colin."

"Gael." I return the stiff, cool greeting and raise my brow a little. What is his problem with me now? He always has a problem with me but usually, it is superficial enough that he can at least pretend.

Gael walks around the sofa and leans against it a little, he takes a sip of his drink.

"Something wrong?" I ask with a deep frown.

"Not right now," Joyce insists, glancing at her husband and shooting him a warning look before turning back to me.

I frown a little looking at her curiously.

"You know he is not a broken little boy anymore Joyce, if he can't handle someone holding him accountable for the way he has been treating you these past few days then he should man up."

I feel my jaw tighten a little and I glare at Gael "don't talk to me about 'manning up Gael,' we both know who the bigger man is between the two of us."

Gael glares at me "you weren't here to see how much your fighting and blaming Joyce for everything that has gone wrong in your life affected her. I was."

I glare bitterly at him. It is times like this that I wish I wasn't sworn to secrecy. I want so badly to snark back about how many times I had to fill in and give his wife what she truly needed. I want to tell him just how much of a pathetic excuse he is for a man, but I respect Joyce's decision to keep that part of her hidden from him. She has good reason to hide it, Gael would never approve. He is all pathetically righteous and human. He doesn't have a switch that can turn off his humanity, not like Joyce and me. He's a lot like Emery in that way, although she has more compassion, more sympathy, perhaps that comes from having had to deal with her own pain and challenges. Gael never had that.