Chapter 30: Forever

~Emery's POV~

The flight down to the island is not long, just under four hours. Colin organized a private flight down for all of our guests, but he said he wanted us to be alone, so we took his personal plane. Now we have arrived at the private airport and Reese is talking to a man standing in the lobby wearing an expensive suit. After a moment he glances over. "The car is ready, sir."

Colin nods and takes my hand as he guides me out to the car. When I sit down in the back seat I lean back and turn my gaze out the window. My hand drifts to rest against my stomach as my mind rushes through the conversation Colin and I had on our way here. It hasn't changed my mind about him, I know he loves me, and I know that he fought Anderson to protect me but it still... shook me. Hearing him talk about fighting Anderson like it was just some intense fighting match like he didn't take the life of someone, in a way it scared me. It reminded me just how dark Colin's darkness is. He is trying to heal, I know that. He hasn't been down to his dungeon in nearly four months but that is not the only darkness that he has. Or maybe it is. Maybe it is the same darkness and the feelings that he has that made him enjoy killing Anderson, made him want to cause his father pain, maybe it is the same darkness that leads him to enjoy BDSM, enjoy hurting women. Maybe it is something I will never truly understand. 

I don't know. I know he loves me, and I still want to live the rest of my life with him. I don't doubt that, I haven't doubted it since he went into the hospital, but it is just one more reminder of his demons. One more reminder of the terrors that his father put him through as a child.

I turn my gaze from watching the beautiful ocean pass by, gazing at Colin with a small look of thought for a moment before I reach over and take his hand squeezing it. He turns his gaze from the window and watches me with a curious gaze.

"I love you," I murmur. I run my thumb over his knuckles "I want to be your wife. You believe that right?"

Colin smiles and nods "yes, if you didn't, you would have bailed a long time ago. Emery, I believe in your feelings for me. Even if it still puzzles me."

I smile as his hand moves to cup my cheek. When we park outside the resort, I turn my gaze back out the window and smile brightly. I have always dreamed of going to the beach, of seeing palm trees and the ocean and now it is happening. It is happening and for the best reason. I am marrying Colin Corrette. The idea, even with the dark conversation still floating over us, sends excitement rushing through me. That is the part that matters, right? That Colin is a good guy at his core, would never hurt me on purpose and loves me. And that I love him. My heart crumbled when he was hurt and that is when I realized how desperately I love him. How desperately I want to spend the rest of my life with him. He is my partner, my protector, my rock, and this weekend we are vowing that to each other for the rest of our lives, that is what is important.

I step out of the car when Reese opens my door and I smile a little when he says "Miss Palmer." Forty-eight more hours and I will never hear that name again. A part of me is sad about that. It's my mother's name and a part of me is sad that I will lose that connection to her, but I know that is just in my mind. A name doesn't connect me to her. She is part of me, I feel her with me always and even more so ever since I got pregnant. I run my palm over the bulge in my abdomen and smile when Colin walks around to set his hand on my back.

We park outside our private section of the resort, and it is a quick walk to our villa. When we reach the door, Colin takes the key Reese had given him and passes it over the fob on the door, pushing it open.

I blink a little and smile in shock looking around. God, it is gorgeous. There is a small kitchenette and closet just as we step in, a large king bed is centred on the wall with a beautiful view of the ocean and beach. It's a walk-out room, right on the beach. When Colin walks over and pulls open the shutters on the window I can smell the ocean, I can hear the clap of the waves.