Chapter 28: Fear

~Emery's POV~

"Alright, thanks Miss Palmer," Atkinson says as he puts his notepad away. "That's all I need."

I hesitate a moment "Colin and Reese aren't going to be in any trouble?"

Atkinson shakes his head "no. Not to worry ma'am. I'll make sure of that."

I nod. "Thank you." I am sitting on the couch a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. Paramedics are loading London who is now awake but groggy into the ambulance. Reese is helping some of the officers clean up the house. Anderson and his men have already been placed into body bags and taken away. Atkinson has reassured me that Reese and Colin will not be charged with anything. Atkinson plans on making it seem that the cause of death was injuries from the three men fighting each other. He plans on making it so Reese and Colin's names don't even come up and with their gang ties he says it will be simple to do.

I take a deep breath and get to my feet walking over to London on the stretcher. "Are you okay?"

London glances up at me and smiles softly. "I'm fine, ma'am. I'm just relieved you are okay."

I smile at her as the paramedics wheel her out of the house. After a moment I head over to the bathroom, and frown when I take in Colin leaning heavily against the sink. His breath is shallow and his face shines brightly with pain. His jaw is hard as he uses tweezers to dig shards of glass out of his forehead.

"Colin you should let the paramedics do that," I say stepping up beside him. Gingerly touching his shoulder.

A part of me is unsure how to comprehend what I witnessed. I was so scared when Andre and Gordon forced me into that chair. My wrists still sting from how tightly they tied me to it. I had no idea how long I would be sitting waiting for Colin to come home. I had no idea what Anderson was planning when he walked through the door. I had been so scared that he was just going to shoot Colin on sight. But he didn't. I knew Colin was going to do whatever he could to protect me, to save me from Anderson. But I had not expected him to taunt him into a duel to the death.

It had been... terrifying watching how Colin... I think in a way he enjoyed it. The dark smirk that crossed his face as he slammed Anderson's head against the counter. The way his nostrils flared when he slammed his head against the ground repeatedly, long after the man had stopped moving. But I know it was truly one of the only options. In his mind, it put him in danger and only him. Trying to lung at Anderson randomly would have put me in danger and there was no way Colin would have done that.

Now he is hurt. Badly hurt. I can tell. I can tell by the look in his eyes, in the way he is moving. But he doesn't want medical attention. The moment the paramedics showed up he disappeared to the bathroom, to hide, it seems. Make sure they don't see him and his injuries. It terrifies me. What if he has a brain bleed or damage to a vital organ?

"I am fine, babe," Colin insists. His voice is tight with so much pain that it makes my heart tighten in pain. I watch as he checks his forehead for any leftover glass before he presses the gauze from the first aid kit that Reese had grabbed for him to the wound. He tapes it in place. He turns to me leaning heavily against the counter. "Have you had the paramedics checked you over?"

"Me? I am fine," I say gazing at him.

"I'd like to make sure," Colin says. He glances at my wrist with a dark look. He catches my hand and gently kisses the red mark left on my skin. "Reese."

A second passes before Reese arrives in the doorway. "Yes, sir?"

"Get the paramedics to check Emery over before they leave," Colin orders glancing at him.