Chapter 24: Dreams

~Emery's POV~

I yawn and turn onto my back before turning my gaze to the clock sitting on the side table. Four o'clock. I frown a little and slowly raise my head I hate waking up in the middle of the night. I rub my eyes before turning my gaze to Colin as he shifts on the bed. He is lying on his side facing away from me. I need to learn to share the blankets better, they are tangled around me leaving only half of him covered.

"Emery!?" Colin mutters groggily as he turns onto his back. "Please God no, baby."

I frown a little gazing at him.

"No please, no," Colin mutters.

His eyes are shut tightly, and his face is full of fear. He's having a nightmare... a nightmare about me?

"Emery, please baby, please, wake up," Colin begs. His voice breaking. His legs move over the bed.

I want to wake him, I want to shake him awake and help him see that I am alright, but I am scared to. I've done that before, and it didn't go so well. I gaze at him with a sad smile as I watch him turn his head to the side, still muttering.

"Emery, please."

"Colin," I whisper kneeling beside him. "Colin? I'm right here, I'm okay. Come on babe, wake up."

Colin's face tightens into a fearful frown, and the pain in his face pains my heart.

"Colin!" I say louder. "Colin wake up!"

When his eyes snap open I frown deeply watching as he tries to gulp down air. He is shaking and sweat is dripping from his hairline.

"Colin?" I whisper, gingerly touching my hand to his cheek. "It's okay, I'm here. I'm right here."

Colin turns his gaze to me his chest still heaving as though he is unable to catch his breath. I take his hand and squeeze it, I can feel his heart thundering in his wrist. It's so fast.

"Take a deep breath," I soothe. "I'm fine."

Colin swallows before forcing a deep breath through his lips. He lets it out shakily. He coughs as he sits up slowly "fuck," he breathes scrubbing his face in his hands. "I'm sorry," he breathes shakily, his voice trembling. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"I'm glad you did," I say gazing at him. "That must have been some dream."

Colin swallows as he leans heavily against the headboard. His breath coming faster the longer he stays quiet.

"Hey," I say touching my hand to his cheek. "I am fine. Look at me, what happened? Talk to me."

Colin swallows turning his gaze to me "you were gone. I didn't get to you fast enough." His jaw tightens and he closes his eyes, it sounds as though he is struggling to breathe.

"Deep breaths," I soothe. "Babe I'm fine. It was just a dream."

Colin slowly shakes his head "I won't let him take you from me. I won't. I let them take Evelyn and..."

I gaze at him with a deep frown. I feel my heart squeeze for him. His sister was taken from him and she died... Now my father is trying to steal me from him. God, I am such an idiot. Why does he love me? I am such a bitch, I know he is stressed and scared and worried and I still walked out of the office without him yesterday. I still forced him to let me go into the office. I still lied to him about keeping a low profile. Now here he is on the brink of a panic attack because he dreamed that I was...

"Anderson took me?"

Colin turns his gaze to me and shakes his head "no. He... he shot you. You were on the ground, pale and lifeless and..." his breath trembles out of his lips and he buries his face in his hands. "I'm sorry, I'm supposed to be keeping you from getting stressed and... I'm fine go back to sleep."