Chapter 10: Slumber Party

~Emery's POV~

"Please, El, you have to at least be civil towards him," I say with a small frown. I'm leaning against the railing outside on the back porch of the apartment.

Colin is inside overseeing some of the packing. Reese has been roped into helping... well, ordered into helping, and so have London and Blair. It must be nice to have a personal moving crew. He has forbidden me from lifting anything heavier than a pillow, so after carefully packing up my collection of books I decided to come out here. Ellie has been out here since we arrived, avoiding Colin.

"You are my friend, not him. He is the man that hurt my friend. I can be as pissed as I want towards him," Ellie retorts. "He is a dick, a controlling, manipulative, selfish dick."

"He is going to be my husband," I insist giving her a small frown. "My husband and he is the father of my baby. And you are the only friend I have. I don't want you two to be at each other's throats for the rest of your lives."

"Well since he is... what twelve years older than you I won't have to put up with him for that long."

"That's cruel," I mutter, looking at her with a deep frown. "He is a good man, Ellie, he loves me."

"He says he loves you," Ellie says as she crosses her arm over her chest. "He is saying whatever he needs to make you stay with him."

"No, he's not. Can you please just trust that I know what I am doing," I insist.

Ellie sighs softly looking down at the ground "you are blinded by these feelings you feel, Emery. Feelings that he has planted in your mind, manipulated you to believe."

I sigh heavily rubbing my fingers over my forehead. "People need to stop thinking I am so stupid and naïve. I know what is best for me." I turn my gaze to Ellie, fixing her with as much seriousness as I can muster "I love him, Ellie. Yes, yes, he is complicated. But who isn't? Find me a guy who isn't a little damaged and has baggage. At least he is good to me. That man would walk through fire for me and this baby, that I know. How could I not want that for my unborn child?"

"What about what you want?" Ellie demands, getting to her feet. Her voice rising. "Stop worrying about what is good for Colin or the baby or anyone else and worry about what you want! What is good for you!"

I frown a little, straightening up from the railing.

"Emery?"

I glance at the patio door, Colin is standing in the doorway, leaning against it a little.

"Are you okay?" he asks, he glances at Ellie with a small frown before he straightens up and walks over to me, touching his hand to my back.

Ellie frowns deeply "were you eavesdropping?" she mutters coldly.

"Ellie," I murmur warningly, glancing at her. I don't want Colin to have any extra reasons to hate her. He hates disrespectful women. That I know.

"No," Colin murmurs his voice equally as hostile. "I'm sure people three doors down could hear you. You were yelling pretty loudly." He turns to me, cupping his hand to my cheek. "Is everything okay?"

I nod slowly glancing at Ellie before looking at Colin "don't let Reese take my bed apart."

Colin frowns a little brushing his thumb down my cheek "are you having second thoughts? Did she get to you?"

"No," I say. "We are going to spend the night here." I turn to Ellie "we will order pizza from El's favourite place and eat cookie dough ice cream and by tomorrow morning, you two will figure out what is needed for you to at least be civil towards each other."