Chapter 22: Future

"Emery we are not going into work," Colin mutters strictly with a deep frown.

"Colin, I have to, Ellie needs my help with this project," I reason. "What could possibly happen in that office? It has better security than the White House."

"You can use Skype or FaceTime, you don't need to go in," Colin retorts.

"Yes, I do, Ellie needs me in the office today and I am sick of sitting around this hotel like some captive. What is going to happen Colin?" I ask again, gazing at him with a pointed look.

Colin frowns gazing at me. We have been arguing since I got out of the shower at six thirty and declared that I was going into the office whether Colin liked it or not, not as it turns out. I have to go in. Ellie needs my help with the banquet, she needs my help picking out tablecloths, napkins, and raffle prizes. Honestly, I sort of feel like I am planning some expensive High School prom.

I step closer to him touching my hand to his cheek. "Reese will be there, you will be there. I will be safe. You must have things you have to take care of at the office too."

Colin breathes a heavy sigh, he kisses my towel-covered forehead and nods slowly. "Fine, but I want you to keep a low profile at work. The fewer people that know we are there the better."

I nod slowly, best not to say that I am going to meet with Ashlyn, Charleigh and Remi as well as Ellie then. I need to go to work, Ellie asked me to help with this project, and I don't want to let her down. Besides this is my chance to make a name for myself before I become Mrs Emery Corrette, perhaps if I do a good job on this people will remember I have more value than just, simply being Colin's wife.

I grin a little in triumph as I quickly get dressed, making sure I am ready rather quickly, so Colin doesn't have a chance to change his mind. When we head out of the hotel, Reese is waiting in the lobby for us and walks closely at my side as we head to the parked SUV just steps from the door.

Reese opens the door for me "Ma'am," he says in a far more formal voice than usual. Clearly, the stress of all of this is getting to him too.

"Thanks, Reese," I say, touching my hand to his arm as I slid into the car.

It's a few moments before Colin is sliding in beside me. I glance at him "you both need to relax. You are acting like there is a snipper on every rooftop and it makes me more stressed."

Colin frowns a little gazing at me "no precaution is too much Emery. We don't know what lengths Anderson is willing to go to."

"It's hard for him to force me to give him a grandson if I am dead, you said he was smart, he has to understand that," I say.

Colin's jaw tightens at my words, he turns his gaze to the window as we travel in a very indirect route to the office.

I frown, I reach across to squeeze his hand "hey, I'm sorry that was a bad joke."

"Yes it was," Colin grumbles.

"I'm sorry," I say sincerely gazing at him. "Hey, I am not going anywhere. All of this is going to sort out and you and I will go back to starting a family together."

Colin turns his gaze to me he holds my gaze for a moment before he nods, he reaches across and sets his hand against my stomach giving it a gentle rub. "How's the baby today?"

"Good," I say with a smile.

Colin leans across the seat and kisses me as Reese stops the car outside the office. Colin pulls away gazing at me "stay in this office until I come down to meet you at the end of the day. Reese will bring you lunch if you want."