Chapter 15: Tailing

~Colin's POV~

Gael has obediently retreated to his and Joyce's room for the rest of the evening and I am beyond glad, I have half convinced myself that he isn't even home. You wouldn't believe how close I came to punching him, but I forced myself to hold back. I felt like it was sort of counterproductive to proving my point. But God... insinuating that I would ever lay a hand on my child.

That makes me sick to my stomach. I am capable of a lot of things but hurting my child. I won't. I won't even spank my child. And if anyone lays a hand on them, they will wish they were dead. The only thing that is keeping me in the mood for celebrating is hearing Emery's words. Her words in my defence. I feel honoured that she was willing to stand up to Gael for me. I also feel beyond prideful that she trusts that I will be a good fath– dad.

I take Emery's jacket from Monica before holding it open for her. "Thanks again for hosting Joyce."

"Of course," Joyce says from where she is standing a wine glass in hand.

I touch my lips to Emery's neck when her jacket is set on her shoulders.

Emery smiles and leans into me, she glances over at Joyce.

Joyce smiles warmly walking closer she gives Emery's hand a squeeze. "I can't wait for you to officially be Mrs Corrette."

"That makes two of us," I say with a warm smile.

Emery smiles turning her head up to look at me. I smile warmly kissing her lips as I wrap my arms around her waist. When I pull away I gaze into her eyes and watch with a warm, amused smile as she yawns.

"We should get home and get you to bed," I say. I glance at Joyce.

She holds my gaze before sighing a little "I'm sorry both of you about Gael."

"Don't apologize for him Joyce," I say tensely. I sigh and shake my head "he just doesn't get me and that is fine. I could care less what he thinks about me."

Joyce nods slowly "it's just hard for me, being caught between you two."

I gaze at her and step around Emery, giving Joyce a tight hug. "Then stop putting yourself in the middle. We can hang out without him forever and ignore him. He and I don't have to be friends." I pull away and gaze at Joyce with a small smile. "He's an ass."

"He's my husband," Joyce says with a small frown.

I sigh a little and nod "yes he is. And he should thank that fact because it is one of the few reasons, I didn't lay him on his ass."

I can tell Joyce is trying not to smile but it's not working. "I'll say thanks for him, in that case."

I touch my lips to her forehead before turning to Emery. She is smiling a little at the two of us. "What?"

Emery shrugs a little "you too are funny."

I kiss her forehead offering her my hand "let's get home, you need some sleep."

We bid our final goodbyes to Joyce as I lead Emery out of the house and to Reese and the car.

Reese smiles in greeting to the two of us, pulling open Emery's door. "Miss Palmer."

"Thanks," Emery says ducking into the car.

I smile softly as I lean down and into the car, I kiss her lips with passion and affection. I touch my hand to her cheek and nibble her lower lip. After a long moment, I pull away.

"What was that for?" Emery asks gazing into my eyes.

"For standing up to him for me," I murmur touching my hand to her cheek. "I love you. You know that right?"