Party in the USA

As soon as the car pulled up to the house, past the gate, my jaw hung to the floor. I made it so my jaw hung beautifully. I've been instructed to record myself getting into the house so that they can use the footage for the show.

"Oh, my gosh!" I exclaimed.

It's a big modern-looking house perched on top of a lush green hill surrounded by tall shrubs. It doesn't look like a place I'll be staying all summer. It puts my home in Toronto to shame.

Once we park, the driver opens the door and I step out, clutching my backpack and suitcase in my hand. 'Party In The USA' was specifically queued up, so I could pretend like I was in a movie. I thanked him before walking up to the door.

When it was opened, I was met with a cacophony of excited shouts from contestants who had already arrived, flanked with cameras behind them. I gave a breathless smile as I set my things down, as a crew member handed me a pink smoothie drink.

"Ezra!" Halle exclaimed, and I finally noticed her. "Welcome to the contestant's house!"

"Thank you!" I replied. "This house is so big."

That wasn't exaggerated. There was a huge invisible-looking staircase in the middle that would've been a faux pa on those house-hunting shows Maria and I watched, but somehow it worked. The downstairs area had an enormous kitchen, and next to it was a wide living room. There was a hall that led to the backyard where I was sure I saw a pool.

"You'll be staying upstairs," a producer said to me suddenly. "All the other rooms have people inside of them, so you'll probably have to stay with a roommate. Since you're a minor, you'll have to stay with a female roommate."

I didn't object to any of that. As long as I was in LA, I wasn't allowed to drink, do any other suspicious substances or go to parties. Especially not hanging out with boys. Mom and Dad were somehow going to make sure of it.

I didn't know of any boys who would be in this competition. Everyone was a bit average.

I hauled my bag up the clear steps, avoiding contact with the ground beneath me. I was winded by the time I got upstairs, so I quickly entered the first room that felt female-occupied.

There were two regular-sized beds parallel to each other. One had a massive gift basket on top of it, while the other had already been lived in, sheets ruffled and suitcase laying claim to the territory. It was a simple room with two dressers next to each bed and a side table in the middle. A plush rug carpet was spread over the floor carpet.

I set my bag down and collapsed onto the mattress again. Flying wasn't for me.

I wondered what everyone was doing right now. Mom and Dad were probably working. That's what both of them did most of the time. Maria was probably at home commencing our movie marathon without me. Emmett was probably out with some of his friends, probably getting blacked out in someone's basement. I guess it was okay for him to party if Mom and Dad weren't in the vicinity.

I only wondered how wild he would get at Havard

I would be here for hopefully more than one week. The second song fiasco still burned in my mind. Everyone loved it, though. The first episode aired yesterday. I couldn't muster up the courage to watch it even though I knew the ending.

"Hello?" a voice shrill, snapping me out of my hazy nap.

I snapped upwards immediately when Ray appeared at the door, eyes narrowed on me as I had just broken into her house.

"Hey," I stuttered. "I'm Ezra."

"I know," Ray snapped. I jumped. "Why are you in this room?"

"All the other ones were claimed, so I chose this one at random," I explained. "I hope this is okay."