Extra Olive Oil

"Andre was spotted with some girl last night," Grace said, staring at her phone while her makeup was being done. "According to STAN."

It took every single bone, muscle, ligament, and tendon for me not to have a visceral reaction while Platinum-Man dusted shimmery blue eyeshadow over my eyes. Ray coughed suddenly.

I didn't notice anyone last night while we were out. And I totally didn't notice anyone while we were in the car. Fear pooled in my stomach. How did STAN know where we were going? I didn't tell anyone about the date!

The fear mixed with the memory of last night. Today was my second day as an eighteen-year-old, and my first day not being a virgin. It was amazing. Andre was amazing. We hadn't talked since last night, though.

Oh no? What if he already got bored with me? What if he was using me?

I forced the thoughts out of my head. He was probably just getting ready for the semi-finals like we all were.

I didn't feel too different. Like in movies, you became a different person and had a different perspective on life. I think I was the same.

"Who is it?" Janelle asked, peeping over her shoulder.

"STAN knows but won't say it," Grace explained, passing their phone around. "It looks like they're waiting for a time. But the pictures are blurry. You can see Andre, though."

Ray spoke next to me. "Ignore it. The only reason why STAN is even relevant is because people keep giving them attention."

"I agree," I weakly said.

"But it's so interesting," Janelle continued. "Plus, everything they've ever talked about has been true. Andre is dating someone. They were seen in downtown LA last night. The photos are grainy, but I know Andre's locs from a mile away."

I stiffened. Grace continued. "Whoever she is, I hope she has enough tenacity to overcome those crazy-ass D-1s. They are ruthless."

"I should know," Ray sighed. "Some of them have threatened my life by breathing next to him. They're crazy as hell."

"Damn," Grace said, lingering on it. "Sorry."

"Don't worry," Ray deadpanned. "I know they're all sorry-ass thirteen-year-olds with too much-unrestricted internet access. It stops fazing me."

If that was Ray, what hope did I have? The Randre shippers were equally toxic as her haters. If they knew we had done stuff. I'm sure they would come for me.

"Let's just wait and see what happens," I said after being silent for so long. "I feel bad for whoever this girl is."

Ray gave me a knowing glance in the mirror.

"Me too," Janelle replied.

Soon hairstylists attended to where I was sitting and this time, they carried a dark red glossy wig.

I didn't like the wigs. Sometimes they felt heavy.

"We could do it naturally, no?" I asked the main hairstylist.

"Lennon's orders," they replied, and I sighed.

Of course, it was Lennon. What did she know about my hair and the way I wanted it?

I was too tired to argue. Someone put my hair into cornrows before applying a wig cap and then the wig. It looked away. But it didn't look like me. It looked like someone way more enhanced.

A new version of me I hadn't even met.