I Have A Dilemma

I collapsed as soon as I got into the car. My brain was stretched and melted out way too far to think. Finale week was the bitchiest bitch on the planet.

I was in vocal practice for hours and Annie had pushed me to the brim trying to get me to sing as well as possible. We went over every single song I performed and recorded 'Pretty Like', and my part for the group song.

It wasn't a vocally challenging song and the lyrics were pretty simple and catchy. It was an annoying song, but I couldn't say anything.

My celebrity collaboration was with this K-pop idol named XIA. I've never listened to her before but I'm pretty sure she was hot stuff in Korea. I wouldn't meet her until the final rehearsals, so I would just have to pretend she was there.

But tomorrow there would be even more dance rehearsals because Lennon managed to convince me to try choreography again. She was also trying to convince me to do the rap verse for 'Pretty Like' because it fit my "image." I couldn't help but think about what Andre said. He was a Black boy from Atlanta who shockingly sang rock music.

Not only that, but Fairouz booked us a spot on the Vera Materniez show, which was probably the most-viewed talk show there was out there. I never liked the show. I thought Vera was more annoying than funny. But I couldn't act annoyed in front of her when millions of people were watching and she was giving us the spotlight.

I was exhausted but since Ray and I won last night, we got free backstage passes to Dilemma's concert. At least we got a break. And I got to see Andre too. A smile crept onto my face. We hadn't talked too much since my birthday night.

Ray collapsed into the car seat after me. She sighed, "I have to say I have been dreading the finals since I got here again. I don't miss it."

"At least you already know what's coming," I groaned. "I'm so tired."

"It's going to be like this if you win," she explained. "It's a never-ending cycle of performances, concerts, and appearances."

"Can't wait," I deadpanned.

The car took us to the crowded concert venue, where a flurry of D-1s overtook the arena. I could practically feel the buzzing of nervous energy off of all the fans, all being bordered off by security. All of them were immersed in frantic chatter, holding up signs and posters. Maria was going to be so mad again that she wasn't there.

I wondered how many of these people would hate me and break hell loose if they found out about me and Andre.

The driver drove past the entrance, and back around the arena also lined with security. He parked right in front of a secluded back exit before he opened the door. We flashed our backstage passes to the security guards before they opened the door for us into a wide, white corridor.

It soon led to the immense stage right in the centre of the arena, all buzzing with fans who had made their way inside. Me and Ray were in front of two young fans probably under thirteen accompanied by defeated-looking parents. I sweat because the concert hadn't even started and they were already busting my eardrums.

I suddenly got an idea and pulled my phone out to snap a picture before I sent it to Karson. He sent back a laugh.

Suddenly, when the arena filled up with screaming fans, the place went dark and everyone somehow screamed even louder. A video of all the members essentially making glamour shots to the camera suddenly appeared on screen and everyone went rabid. Slowly, the instrumental of 'Overdrive' began to get louder and louder and so did the fans.

I didn't realise it but my heart was beating louder and louder by the second. I guess this energy was infectious. The lights pulsed around.

Suddenly the square-shaped hole in the middle of the stage became filled, and all four of the members, in their edgy rockstar attire, filled the stage. They all walked dramatically to their instruments and Andre walked forward.