Date (Like the Fruit)

"Track 'Video Killed The Radio Star'. Artist in position," my in-ears told me. "Intro, 2, 3, 4."

Ray and I both started singing under the bright lights of the stage, flanked by the backup dancers. The song was a continuous duet, so Ray and I bounced off one another with a perfect melody. There were two sets of stairs facing each other and I walked down, as the backup dancers followed me.

We were doing well. Since we didn't dislike each other anymore, we worked more intuitively with one another. That trauma-dump session did wonders for us, helping us match each other's energy. Cody's toned-down choreography was one that I could actually follow and I was actually in sync.

By the time we finished, Brian both came up to us, giddy with a jolly smile on his face.

"Amazing ladies!" he complimented extra loud for the competition. "I like how you both sing together and compliment each other's voices. If I'm being honest, I think you both have an amazing chance of making it into the finals."

For a moment, we smiled and laughed and looked at each other. I began. "Anything to improve?"

"Try not to look too nervous and get the energy out," Brian revealed. "Just be yourselves."

It was vague, but at the same time, I expected nothing less from Brian. He was a performative mentor.

I took his feedback into consideration when we were back on stage again, performing the song I had already gotten used to. Despite it not being my choice, I did find it kind of fun to sing and perform. Ray did have some amazing taste in 80s dance-pop hits. We finished our second rehearsal out of three and then my phone buzzed. Luckily not STAN.

It was Andre. Even though he had an alias, I concealed my hand over my phone.

ANDRE: Meet me at the back entrance quickly.

EZRA: Really? For what?

ANDRE: It's a surprise!

I took my stuff and exited out the back, just like Andre said. I thought about my conversation with Ray. Andre had secrets. Who didn't honestly? But why was it enough to tear down a relationship?

It wasn't surprising to see Andre once again in his "hide-from-the-paps'' get up again. He still managed to look good.

"Ezra!" he exclaimed, wrapping me in a hug.

His arms were thick and veiny, and I inhaled his woody perfume I now recognize from the night of the party. I had to mention it to him at one point. I melted into the hug, gripped him tight and leaned against him.

When we pulled away, I noticed an unmarked paper shopping bag in his hand.

"Happy Birthday, Ezra!" Andre grinned, handing over the bag to me. "I got this for you."

"How did you know it was my birthday?" I asked, taking the bag in my hand.

"I saw it on your contestant profile when I first became a judge," he revealed. "I thought it was pretty close."

"Thank you for noticing," I wondered. "You didn't need to get me a present, though."

"Well," Andre lingered, shyly smiling at the ground. "I think you are a special girl, especially to me."

Heat spread through my cheeks. Me? Special? He seemed sincere, his eyes full of a lingering promise. I didn't know what we were at this point. We clearly weren't just friends, but we weren't dating or anything.

"Thanks, Andre," I gushed. "I appreciate it."

"No problem," he replied. "Not to spoil the gift or anything, but it would be nice if you wore that dress to our potential date tonight."

Date? As in real life date?

No, Ezra. Like the fruit.

"What do you mean?"

"I made reservations at this restaurant for 10:00 pm, but if you don't want to go, then I'll totally cancel," Andre stuttered. "I just wanted you to have a special day, but only you can define that specialty."

"I would love to go!" I exclaimed. "Thank you so much!"

"It's for you," he replied. "I'll pick you up at 10:00 pm. See you then!"

"See you then," I replied.

I could barely hold my smile as I entered back into the studio and through our second rehearsal. I suddenly thought about what Ray said as we finished on the second high note. Andre had secrets that somehow carried more weight than the general population.

When I went backstage again, I pulled out my phone and searched for Andre. I found his Wikipedia page and quickly scrolled down to the 'family' section. It said that Andre had four brothers. Two older. Two younger. There is no mention of sisters or any conspicuous family members.

Hmm.

"Ezra!" Grace called me from the start of the hallway. "It's still your birthday!"

"I got that," I huffed. "Well, I'm going back to the house, anyway. I'll see you there?"

"No," Janelle insisted. "We're going somewhere else this afternoon."

My eyes widened. "I told you didn't have to do anything."

"We will," she continued. "Say the word. We'll take you there."

I thought about what I wanted to do. I was eighteen now, meaning I was an adult. There was one thing in the back of my mind even, I wouldn't even admit out loud because the sheer thought could get me in trouble. Maybe it was time to continue to break my parents' rules.

"I want to get a tattoo."

You and Me (Plus Everyone In Between Us)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें