Machine Pt.3

I almost collapsed right there and then. If my mental state was okay, then how come I was hearing my song come out of Ray's mouth? Maybe it was just a little similarity? No.

Ray sang and those were my lyrics being paraded as her original song. The piano track She stole my song! I thought no one liked it. Did she look through my songbook? No that wasn't possible.

I turned to Lennon. She simply sipped her dumbass coffee.

"Lennon!" I yelled.

She raised her pointer finger to her lips. "Don't talk. They're going to turn on your mic so you don't want feedback."

My mouth went slack-jawed at the sheer audacity. They couldn't just give my lyrics to Ray. It was my song!

I tried not to lash out, but holding myself back was too hard. I thought my jaw was going to crack with how hard I was clenching it.

Someone was going to pay and it sure as hell wasn't going to be me. I watched as she sang the chorus I poured over on the school piano, and the bridge, singing the high notes and riffs, I had arranged. If I was a cartoon character, I'm sure steam would be coming out of my ears.

When she stopped singing, it was like joy to my ears. I couldn't bear to hear any of it.

Lennon stood up to usher me on stage, and I did my best not to give her the nastiest glare I had ever mustered in my life. Two of the dancers, Penny and May, who had returned, followed me onto the lowlights of the stage.

The audience was like right in front of me in this small and packed theatre. I spotted my family down at the front and I gasped when I saw Grace and Janelle. I waved vicariously.

The audience was loud. It was like a war to see who could be louder. The angry people who had booed me, or the enthusiastic cheers trying to drown them out. I plastered on a confused smile. Fairouz told me not to mention anything.

"Hello, guys!" I yelled out. "Thank you so much for coming out today! I love seeing the support! You have no idea what this means to me now!"

They kind of cheered. It was a vague statement of what I had been going through.

I took my position and my in-ears counted off the track for 'Call Out My Name', which was the first song on my setlist. It went smoothly, as I made sure to walk around, look at the audience, and have a stage presence, like Annie said.

'Burn' was a harder one to sing because it reminded me of how I almost left this competition. I sang it passionately, letting go of all the worry I had. But there was still a win on the line.

It was actually going well. People seemed to be enjoying themselves, but that's all I could see from the stage lights. No one had thrown a tomato at me quite yet.

After, the backup dancers ran onto the stage for 'Pretty Like', which cued in my in-ears.

"This is a new one!" I yelled out to them. "It's called 'Pretty Like' and it's about feeling beautiful and having fun! I want to see you guys dance to this one!"

They cheered at the song queued up in my ears.

I have this big beat in my heart (my heart)

I knew it was you from the very start (the start)

And now I got to see you so fine (so fine)

Now I just want you to be mine (mine)

Feel on top of the world when you're around

Cause you always put on my crown