Cash-Strapped

I was back in Sunrise Studio for our next challenge, and I was early again. Woo-hoo!

Halle, Fairouz, Brian, and Andre (also early and without coffee) stood before us as cameras swarmed into the practice room. I sat next to Grace Janelle, in my right mind and not hungover luckily.

The room felt so empty now that there were only fifteen of us. We tearfully said goodbye to the other acts, and they moved out of the house this morning. I didn't know any of them, but I still cried because everyone else was crying.

I think I cried tears of joy. I won the round and made it. Mom was wrong. I wouldn't embarrass myself.

My win still lingered in my veins and sent me to Cloud 9. Adrenaline was officially my favourite feeling now. It made sure I didn't feel tired after getting a whooping four hours of sleep.

The room was cold, AC on blast, but Andre's hoodie was surprisingly comfortable. He probably wanted it back. I would have to find him just to give it back, not to talk or anything.

"Hello acts!" Halle announced with her smile. "How do we feel after yesterday?"

"Tired," we all said collectively.

"Well, the fun has only started," Halle chuckled. "Now that the first round is over, it's time to step your game up, because five more of you will be leaving by the end of this week."

We all nodded collectively. I gulped.

"Last week you guys chose songs that represented your individuality," Halle said. "This week, our first theme will be musical theatre."

Grace and Janelle basically had a mini-freakout next to me, grabbing hands and bouncing in their seats. After catching up on Nebula lore, I found that they met at a theatre camp at thirteen and both studied theatre. I think they had this one in the bag.

"You will be choosing iconic musical theatre songs," Halle announced. "I wish you guys all good luck this week!"

Everyone retreated back into the group practice rooms. There were four girls left, including me. Ray, Kristen, and Lina had successfully skirted elimination. Lennon soon followed after iPad and Starbucks in both hands.

"Hey girls," she said, not barging in this time. This time she was in weather-appropriate attire of long black bike shorts and a fluffy hoodie that fell off her shoulders. "Glad to still see you here, Lina. I would never want to be in your place."

"Me neither," Lina replied again as we all chuckled.

"The theme this week was musicals," Lennon said, taking a long swig from her Starbucks. "Does anyone have an idea of what song they want to do?"

I didn't have any idea this time. To be fair, I wasn't a musical type of girl. Quickly, I took out my phone and began texting Grace and Janelle.

ME: I need musical ideas for songs! Please help.

GRACE: What about 'Burn'? It sounds like it's in your range and I feel like it has that passionate feeling. Plus, everyone knows Hamilton.

ME: Let me see.

I searched for the song on my phone and pressed the speaker to my ear. It sounded okay from here. I think I would like to sing it.

Lina was already talking to Lennon about doing "The Phantom of the Opera" which was a trademarked Lina choice.

"What about Burn from Hamilton?" I suggested it to Lennon, who I expected to turn it down with a barrelling of rejections.

"Honestly, that's not a terrible choice," she replied, shocking me in my place. "Are you sure that's the song you want to sing?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "I think it suits my range."