Machine

Ten minutes later, when everyone came back on break, I crossed my fingers when they were still on stage.

"The acts that will be going into the 'Sing For Your Life Challenge Are'," Halle began. "Insomnia and... Nebula."

I mentally celebrated, and with a knowing sigh, smiled in anticipation. Nebula would clear Insomnia in this competition. They had insane vocals and stage presence. If I were the boys from Insomnia, I would be very scared.

"The first group to go will be Insomnia," Halle announced. "Good luck."

The three of them all stepped up and began to sing a slow version of a song I didn't know about. It was slow, sultry, and flirty, and they managed to wink at the audience to make them hoot enough. One of them got to the apparent chorus before breaking out into a high note.

Only his voice cracked.

He stopped for a second, probably in embarrassment, before singing the rest of the verses. The rest of it was nice, but nerves quickly tackled their voices and made it less amazing.

Everyone clapped once they finished. It was okay.

Nebula took the stage. They easily had this in the bag.

They began a harmonious rendition of "Oops I Did It Again". Grace's soulful, deep ad-libs and Janelle's graceful falsettos in the song. The audience cheered way more for them and even began to clap and sing along before they finished.

I hated to be the one to say it, but it was obvious who was going to win. I smirked.

"That was amazing guys!" Halle complimented. "Now it's time for the judges to decide who will make it through. I'm going to start with Andre."

"Insomnia, you guys have been very consistent over this season and I applaud your tenacity," Andre told them. "But if I had to decide who I thought had the most potential and the best singing, I would have to say Nebula."

Okay. Nebula 1. Insomnia so far none.

"Brian?"

"I think that you guys are both talented. But if I had to go with who had the most potential and the better stage presence, I would have to go with Insomnia," Brian revealed.

I squeezed my eyes shut out of sheer fear. A tiebreaker. Fairouz had the power to break it. But she didn't like Nebula that much.

"Honesty," she began. "I have to choose who is more marketable in the end and the act that has been consistent over this competition. Nebula, although talented, is too niche. So in the end, I have to go with... Insomnia."

The trio jumped for joy as 'boos' from the audience filled the air, competing with loud cheers. Fairouz wasn't fazed. Grace and Janelle stood there, stunned. I could already see tears forming out of Janelle's eyes.

I didn't notice I was standing up until I was. Janelle collapsed into my arms, goopy tears of makeup running down her face. Grace pulled her into her arms, wiping silent tears from her eyes.

"You can't leave," I said, voice breaking into a sob. I breathed out. "Fairouz doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. You guys deserved to win. I would give my spot to you."

"No!" Janelle exclaimed suddenly through the tears. "You totally deserve to be here, okay? Win for yourself."

"I will," I croaked. I wiped away some tears.

"Why are you crying?" Grace asked, smiling through the tears.

"I'm not," I lied. "There's so much dust around here."

Grace broke into a laugh as an infectious smile spread across their face. Janelle soon followed suit.

"We still have more time together," Janelle replied. "Just a little, but not a lot."

It was fine.

So fine.

Very much fine.