Chapter 5 (Rewritten)

Chapter 5

Progress?

*Bailey*

The cafeteria erupts with noise as everyone jumps from their seats and rush for the exits, leaving their lunch behind. I look at my friends wondering if they can tell me what's going on.

"Let's go, B." Kassia says, taking my arm and pulling me from my seat. Spencer follows close behind as we follow the crowd down the hall and outside to the parking lot. Kassia forces a path to the front as the group begins to come to a stop.

As we get closer to the front of the crowd, I see three police cars with their lights flashing. We finally make it to the front and I watch as Marco and his friends get cuffs slapped on to their wrists.

"Idiot." Spencer mumbles to himself with a shake of his head. This is the exact reason why I can't go out with Marco. I never know when he'll get into trouble and be hauled off.

"Everybody, back inside!" Principle Park yells over the crowd. Marco is yanked up from the ground and lead over to one of the squad cars. Marco puts up one last fight before he's shoved inside, and my stomach tightens as I suddenly feel sad. "Back inside!" Mr. Park shouts once more.

The crowd finally begins to move and I get caught in the flow as I'm forced back inside. Marco must have done something pretty bad. I follow the crowd back into the cafeteria, losing sight of Kassia and Spencer. I find our table and see Kassia and Spencer waiting there.

"I lost you guys." I say as I take my seat. "What do you think happened?"

"With those guys, who knows." Kassia says with a shrug. "I feel like it's always something new."

"Well I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble."

"What?" Kassia asks, nearly shouting. "Have you forgotten that he humiliated you in front of half the school? Or how about that kid he messed with yesterday? Not to mention the countless things he's done to us on Kelsey's demand. He's not a nice person, B. Don't let his looks fool you."

I'm sure if Kassia knew how nice Marco has been to me lately, she'd understand. He helped me by giving me a ride home, which he didn't have to do. He's made no attempts to humiliate me or hurt me in any way since the party. He's nice to me and I like that.

*Marco*

My friends and I burst out of the front doors and into the parking lot. We don't stop as we make our way to my van. I know we can make it if we push ourselves a little harder. I look back to check on my friends, but only see the dark shirt of the figure blocking my view. Before I can react, I'm thrown to the ground and my cheek is touching the hot pavement. I groan as the officer twists one arm behind my back and slaps a cold cuff around my wrist.

I see the shoes of the group that has formed to come watch the scene. What are the chances Bailey isn't out here with everyone else and I still have a chance?

"Everybody, back inside!" Principle Park yells over the crowd that has formed. The officer slaps the other cuff around my wrist before yanking me off the ground and reading me my rights. I scan the crowd for Bailey, but there are so many faces they all become a blur.

"Watch your head." The officer says to me as we stop at one of the three squad cars. I twist in the officer's grasp, trying to free myself one last time. "Give it up kid." The officer shoves me in the back of the squad car and slams the door. I've really ruined all chances I have with Bailey.