Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Coping

Marco's P.O.V*

I left Bailey standing in the parking lot and drove off. I can't believe this is happening. I'm not ready to be a dad, I'm only 17. I wonder if Bailey has considered options. I just don't want her to keep them.

I drove to the cemetery. I drove through the gates and up the gravel path. I parked the car and got out, walking up to one of the tombstones. It had my dad's name on it and they day he was born to the day he died. I sat down crossed legged in front of it.

"Hey Dad." I said, knowing I wasn't going to get a response. "I know it's been a while, I'm sorry. But I didn't want to go home, so I came here since I know I can talk to you. My girlfriend Bailey... turns out she's pregnant with twins and I'm the father. You and mom had me when you were both in college which was still pretty tough, but I'm still in high school. There's no way I can handle the pressure. The guys were right, I should've ended it before it got complicated. Now I'm in this mess." I brought one knee up and rest my chin on it. "Maybe I should breakup with her. I mean I love her and all, but I can't deal with this. The responsibilities of being a father is something I don't have. I can't even get a job. I've been arrested multiple times..." Things would be easier if I breakup with Bailey. I think that's what I'll do. "Thanks for listening Dad, I'm going to break things off with Bailey. I'll talk to you later, Dad."

I stood up and walked over to my car. I got in and drove out of the cemetery. I drove to Bailey's, hoping she was home. I'll breakup with her now and make it easier for both of us. It's better to do it in person.

I pulled in Bailey's driveway when I saw her car. I didn't bother turning off the car since I'm not planning on staying long. I walked to her front door and rang the doorbell. A moment passed and the door opened. Mrs. Hartlem was standing in the doorway, wearing an apron.

"Hi Mrs. Hartlem. Can I talk to Bailey?"

"Oh, hello Marco. Sure, I thought you'd broken up. But now that you're here... go on up."

I walked past Mrs. Hartlem and headed up to Bailey's room. I found her laying on her bed and a tissue box laying next to her. I knocked on the door and she slowly got up and turned to me. She gave me a look of surprise when she saw me. I kept my face emotionless, hoping it would make it easier.

"Marco! I'm so glad you're here." She got up and tried to hug me, but I held my hand out to stop her.

"I'm breaking up with you Bailey." I told her. "This whole pregnant thing isn't working for me."

"But, you haven't even given it a chance."

"I don't want to give it a chance. I'm done with you."

When I saw tears streaking her face, I figured it was time for me to leave. I walked out of her room and ran down the stairs. Mrs. Hartlem was in the kitchen baking what smelled like cookies. I snuck by her and slipped out the front door. I got in my car and began to drive home.

Bailey's P.O.V*

How can Marco breakup with me at a time like this? If he really loved me, he would've stayed with me. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and sat on my bed. This isn't going how I planned. Marco was supposed to love me and help me through this. Maybe I overestimated Marco.

My mom came in with a plate of chocolate chip cookies. The smell of them filled the air and I instantly became hungry.

"Hi sweetie. I thought Marco was here, where did he go?"

"He came to breakup with me. He just left."

"I'm sorry. I thought he was here to discuss things with you. If I'd known, I wouldn't have let him in."