Part 1

I walk over to Belly's phone and put the song 'Cruel Summer' on, by Taylor Swift.

"Drew's bummed you're missing the beach matchup with the boys' team next weekend." Mine and my sister's best friend Taylor says.

I'm two years older than Belly and Taylor, the same age as Conrad.

"Um, make sure you tell Sophie to square up for the block," Belly tells Taylor.

"Drew Martinez is texting Tay about you, and you're talking about volleyball?" I interrupt. "Like, are you serious right now?"

"Drew doesn't care if I'm there or not, he just wants an excuse to text you."

Taylor is round because she's supposed to be helping Bells and I pack for the summer, she isn't very helpful, but she's a good gossiper.

The two girls carry on talking about volleyball as I pack my bags.
I share a bedroom with my sister, a single bed each, so it's nice in the summer when we get a break.

I look over and see that Belly is holding up an all-black full-body swimming costume.

"Do not bring that speedo," I announce firmly.

"Yeah, it doesn't do a thing for your new boobs." Taylor agrees.

"It's not a Speedo."

"I'm just saying Belly, like, you need to pack cute things." Taylor keeps explaining.

"Well, I always buy a new suit when I get there."

"Don't worry Tay, I'll make sure she gets a good one." I wink.

"Thank the lord, then she won't look like she's trying out for the swim team."

"Are you serious?" Belly runs over and jumps on Taylor as they both giggle and squeal.

I shake my head and grin at their antics.

"Belly! Y/N! We're leaving in ten minutes!"Our mum Laurel shouts from downstairs.

I leave the room to use the bathroom against the door as I overhear their conversation.

"Okay, before I let you go, you have to tell me your summer wish," Taylor says. "Like the one thing you want to happen this summer."

"I don't know."

"You little liar. Yes, you do." They both laugh, which makes me smile. I don't have many friends, but I always manage to be happy for Bells. "You want a hot make-out with Conrad Fisher. You want his tongue in your mouth, you dirty little slut."

Of course, I already knew Belly liked Conrad, everyone's always known, since she was 12 years old. It still manages to make my smile fade though.

And I don't want to seem petty, but I've liked him since I was 8.

Just saying.

A couple minutes later I start to walk back to the room.

I hear our mum warn us that we have 5 more minutes.

"Or Jere." Taylor is speaking when I enter.

"He doesn't see me that way."

"Oh, he'll see you," Taylor assures her.

"Yeah Bells, we look a lot different than last summer, Jere will see you, whether he wants to or not," I tell her.

I shove the last couple of bits I have into my bag, one of my 5 bikinis because you can never have too many, and one of my T-shirts. Well, one of Conrad's T-Shirts. I see a hint of jealousy in Belly's eyes. I don't like making her feel like that, but it gets on my nerves sometimes when she talks about Conrad.

Taylor clears her throat before hugging us both.

"See you on your birthday Bells."

"Um?"

"And yours soon after."

My birthday is one day after Belly's, which is annoying because I'm neglected enough as it is.

We wave goodbye out the window.

~

"I feel the tension in the air." belly is belting a song from the front seat of the car.

I'm in the back with my mum, and Steven my brother, is driving.

Steven and I exchange jokingly frustrated looks through the rearview mirror, as Belly gets louder.

"You can't do better!" She more yells than sings.

"Uh, can you guys turn it down a little, please?" Laurel (my mum) calls out from the back.

"Yes please," Steven replies.

"Thanks." She pauses. "I want you to be better at helping out this summer, like don't just leave your dishes in the sink, load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish either Steven, I want you to be good houseguests."

"Mum, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?"

"Steven quit it," I tell him.

My mum then smacks him on the head which he yells 'Ow!' to, like a little kid.

"Okay, okay, sorry." He glances at me. "Why are you so pressed about it Eminem?" (Eminem is my nickname)

"No reason." I shake my head and look out the window.

There is quite clearly a reason, but Steven is so oblivious that he just shrugs it off.

Five minutes later we stop to get some snacks in a gas station.

Belly opens a packet of Cheetos and shoves them into her mouth.

"Bells we haven't even paid yet."

She rolls her eyes at me.

I grab a cherry coke, and we both go up the counter.

"Are you two new this summer?" The cashier asks us.

"Uh us? No." Belly replies.

"Really? Hm. I thought I knew every pretty girl in Cousins.

We grin at each other.

"Coming to the bonfire tonight? First of the season."

"Yeah maybe," I answer.

"Cool."

"Mum!" Belly yells suddenly.

The dude jumps a bit and I mouth 'sorry'.

Our mother comes and pays then we go back out to the car, and are only a few minutes away, from the beach house.

Susannah's beach house.

Hey!! I hope you've enjoyed the first chapter, this is already so much fun to write. If you have any ideas for the future then comment them, I'd appreciate it! 🫶